Question about euthanasia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put him down, I would take care of him. Even humans get cranky when they get older... are we to euthanize them too? I've just never been fond of things like that, if the dog wanted to die, well he'd die.

I believe in letting life take its course, its hard for us to see them what we call "suffer", but in the end an animal knows when they're ready to go.

Euthanasia for me is a slippery slope in animals and humans...

I wouldn't put him down, I would take care of him. Even humans get cranky when they get older... are we to euthanize them too? I've just never been fond of things like that, if the dog wanted to die, well he'd die.

I believe in letting life take its course, its hard for us to see them what we call "suffer", but in the end an animal knows when they're ready to go.

Euthanasia for me is a slippery slope in animals and humans...

Unfortunately, it is much easier for people looking at the situation from the outside to criticize another's decision, especially concerning something like euthanasia. Owners usually know their animals well, and no two people have the same criteria for deciding when is the right time to put an animal down. Nobody is wrong, which is why it is critical for veterinarians to listen to their clients and respect their wishes without criticism, especially if they have no reason to doubt a person's role as animal caretaker.

Euthanasia is one of the greatest gifts we can give to our pets. To be able to end suffering, especially when there is no hope for recovery, is a beautiful thing. This doesn't make it any easier. However, there is no excuse for allowing an animal to suffer through an imminent death. I tend to want to euthanize earlier when I know an animal is terminal before it begins to suffer. My parents tend to wait longer because they want to see signs that the animal's quality of life has declined. Neither one of us is wrong and I expect my vet (especially since I have a long time relationship with her) to respect all of our wishes.

My heart goes out to the OP. I have had to have three very good dogs euthanized in my life. It was a hard decision to make each time. But, I never regretted the decision any of the three times. No one knows better than the owner when the right time comes.

Any vet that refuses to euthanize any obviously suffering pet, lacks the compassion that a true lover of animals has.

**Edited by Staff**

Last edited by a moderator:
We had to put out Boston terrier down last Christmas, basically we decided that once her life was not more enjoyable than painful it was time. We have the brains to not let them suffer as people have to . You need a new vet who will listen to your concerns and if they say no?? Maybe he just needs a new home
Some one with no children or other dogs around could work.

I made the extremely difficult decision to put my 26 year old Appendix Quarter horse down. He had navicular disease in the front, white line disease in the back, & had recurring abscesses in his front feet. When I took him to the vet she said, "Oh, but he looks so good!" This just about killed me. He did look good. He was also on 6 bute tablets/day, which is massive. She hadn't see him when he couldn't even walk to water he hurt so bad. I'd had him for 20 years & I loved him dearly. He was the smartest horse I've ever had & he was just a character. Believe me, it was a kindness to let him go. I still miss him to this day. I still go to that vet office, but when you've made such a difficult decision, you don't need the vet to say how good your pet looks.

I made the extremely difficult decision to put my 26 year old Appendix Quarter horse down. He had navicular disease in the front, white line disease in the back, & had recurring abscesses in his front feet. When I took him to the vet she said, "Oh, but he looks so good!" This just about killed me. He did look good. He was also on 6 bute tablets/day, which is massive. She hadn't see him when he couldn't even walk to water he hurt so bad. I'd had him for 20 years & I loved him dearly. He was the smartest horse I've ever had & he was just a character. Believe me, it was a kindness to let him go. I still miss him to this day. I still go to that vet office, but when you've made such a difficult decision, you don't need the vet to say how good your pet looks.

I'm really sorry to hear about that.
sad.png

FIRE THAT VET!!!

Old dogs have good days and bad, I'd have given that vet a piece of my mind then NEVER used them again. Just the build up one has to do to make that trip, the hardest trip a pet owner ever makes... Don't you dare question me...

The last dog I took in after suffering a life of seizures was shaking as the vet finished, never again. I'm going to do it myself, as hard as it's gonna be, it going to be done quick and clean and there will be no fear!

Last edited:
Maybe he just needs a new home
Some one with no children or other dogs around could work.
Dear OP, I'm sure the person who wrote this probably didn't realize how cruel it would be to do such a thing to your poor sick 14 year old dog.

Anyway, my vet office had a sign on the wall, a nice long poem about how an old dog has faithfully served its owner for its entire life, and at the end, it was the owner's duty to perform the final act of service for his dog, and end it's life before the loss of all dignity, before the pain and suffering became too serious of an issue. I don't remember the words of the poem, but I remember what it meant. It meant to put your dog down while it "still looks good". After all, what is the alternative? Make sure your dog looks hideous and pitiful first? There is no dignity in that.

I'm sorry you had to go through the agony of preparing for the "final" visit, and now will have to go through it again in another time or another place. Shame on that vet.

I'd say he made the right decision, a vet is going to know by looking at the dog what's best for the dog.

Of course he does.....a vet who looks at a pet for only a few minutes, perhaps during a good time will know so much more than the owner who has lived a lifetime with the dog, knows minute details about him, has seen changes however subtle coming about and is the one who is emotionally involved....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom