Question about feed store chicks

cldineley

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
eastern,nc
I just recently had a bad experiment with buying older chicken, which ended in me having to put them down. It was suggested I try my local feed store for chicks. When you buy chicks from there is it a pot luck or do they sell specific breeds of chicks or both. The reason I bought older ones is because I couldn't find anyone selling the one I want. I have a Barred Rock roo and wanted hens of the same breed. I am going to wait awhile before I attempt to get any more, hopefully when spring comes there will be more chicks available around here, or I might have to settle with a different breed.

Check with your feed store in advance to see what they will carry. All my birds are from a local feed store and I was able to order what I wanted. Barred Rocks are a popular choice, I can't imagine a feed store not carrying them at some point.

The feed store I bought from let me place an order in advance. All three breeds I requested were fairly popular and all three breeds were ordered for the same week (I think I might have placed my request before they actually placed their order and they just looked at the highest popularity of what people wanted for the first batch). Even if it's not a breed they were planning on carrying, some of the smaller feed stores will add a few to the order if you specifically ask. And Barred Rocks are popular enough that they will probably already have some on order. You'll just be putting in a reservation for x amount of them.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

when i got my chicks at the feed store they had barred rocks, red sexlinks, new hampshires, and easter eggers
smile.png
they are very helpful and my girls that i got from them are happy and healthy (although freeloading right now >
sad.png
)

Thanks for the replies. I asked the 2 local feed stores about the chicks but they have never mentioned anything about putting an order in. I think I might give them a call and ask.

They should be able to tell you which hatchery their "Chick Day" chicks come from, too. In my area, they get them from Townline Hatchery out of Zeeland, MI.

The more I read about other's experiences with feed stores and chicks, the more I love my fav feed store. Bantams and ducks are the only straight run offerings, the LF breeds are separated by sex into their own bins or cabinets, and there are the regular, popular breeds plus some slightly different ones.

They have been redesigning their chick area with closed cabinets only employees can open and with nipple waterers!

Our local big box feed store only allows you to pre-order if you get 25 birds with a 5 per breed minimum. So really, they just place a hatchery order for you (probably Cackle) and mark up your purchase for their trouble. Otherwise, you can come in when they get their floor models and pick from what they have in the bins.

When I owned my feedstore, we carried chicks spring and summer. We always ordered pullets and we always had the regulars. Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Australorps. A couple of times in the chick season we'd get Sex Links and Ameracana's. We eventually added bantam and rare breeds and we had a special order program. We did our regular stock order one day usually in time for the weekend and then Mon or Tues we did the special order chicks. This way we knew who went where! we only ordered straight run in meat birds or by special order. We also started a breeder listing to connect customers to breeders of birds we did not stock like ducks or those wanting exhibition stock.
Most feed stores where I live do chick days and order the most common. I would be very surprised if Barred Rocks were not among them.

Back
Top Bottom