Question about having a bachelor pen for ducks...

addctd2plnts

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
St. Charles County, MO
Hi,

Have had ducks for almost a year. Last Fall I added some different breeds of show duck pairs from breeders who show. The problem is that we lost two females via transport issues, so have two extra males. I may also have too many male Runners in a run of 10 hatchery Runners we started out with. I want to know if we make a bachelor pen how far away do they have to be from other pairs to stop fighting? Obviously, all the show duck pairs will be in individual cages for breeding. Is it the "sight" of the female that triggers them, or smell or both?

Hi,

Have had ducks for almost a year. Last Fall I added some different breeds of show duck pairs from breeders who show. The problem is that we lost two females via transport issues, so have two extra males. I may also have too many male Runners in a run of 10 hatchery Runners we started out with. I want to know if we make a bachelor pen how far away do they have to be from other pairs to stop fighting? Obviously, all the show duck pairs will be in individual cages for breeding. Is it the "sight" of the female that triggers them, or smell or both?
I do not have females and my drakes fight. Today they were in a three-way fight. Its drake hormones not sight not smell.

Just think of it as a duck wrestling match. As long as it's not extreme, no harm no fowl <----- yes, that's a play on words. :gig
My guys wrestle all the time. Sometimes there is feather loss, sometimes a blood feather is pulled, once in awhile a caruncle is scratched (muscovies), but there has never been anything more than that. They fight to see who the top drake is. Rematches are always occurring. 😁

Just think of it as a duck wrestling match. As long as it's not extreme, no harm no fowl <----- yes, that's a play on words. :gig
My guys wrestle all the time. Sometimes there is feather loss, sometimes a blood feather is pulled, once in awhile a caruncle is scratched (muscovies), but there has never been anything more than that. They fight to see who the top drake is. Rematches are always occurring. 😁
I'm not upset by normal wrestling matches at all. I have mine in large predator proofed stalls for the winter. Hubby is currently building the breeding pens but didn't meet my Feb 1st deadline LOL Came out the other day and my Snowy Mallard male in my small ducks pen, had no Feathers at all on his neck and it was a red oozing mess! He's currently housed in my shower on puppy pads with his mate. His neck was cleaned up with Hibiclens and it looked good by the next morning. Am thinking of making some run through boxes and places to hide and trying him back in the pen. I'm guessing it will be 2 more weeks till the breeding pens are done and it's too far into breeding season grr WHY can't men be on time with things since he's known for 6 mos we needed to have them done and he has help from sons!

TLDR; I have an all male flock -- it's crazy!
The odds were obviously NOT in my favor last spring when my 2 'sexed' female goslings grew into ganders, my straight run of 9 ducklings (6 surviving shipping due to a freak cold snap) yielded 4 drakes/2 hens, and the 2 'sexed' female rescues I took in to try to "even things up" grew curly tail feathers a few weeks later. As soon as we hit 5 months old, the ladies started getting attention- - and being followed, everywhere. With 6 drakes and 2 ganders, I knew they wouldn't stand a chance, so I rehomed Queen B and Puddles to a lovely homestead and decided a "Home for Wayward Drakes" was the new plan.
Had to cull Curly (Black Swedish drake) when he (quite literally) became suicidal - a rapid onset neurological issue including trying to drown himself in the lake - possibly from a snakebite.
So now we are 7 -
1) Larry -Embden gander and Mama's boy
2) Lou - (previously Lucy) - INCREDIBLY LOUD White Chinese gander
3) Moe - (the Stooges Larry, Curly, Moe) - Pekin drake who thinks he's really a gander
4 ) Squiggy ( known male Runner)
5 - 6) Laverne and Shirley (The aforementioned rescue hens that weren't. Runners)
7) Lucky Duck - who was injured in transit as a duckling but grew into an absolutely BEAUTIFUL Blue Swedish drake
The boys are completely free range on a small lake with shelters available on land and on water. They get supplemental food, treats, but are never locked up/penned up with each other. They have acres of space available to spread out -- there are no females around to fight over -- but right now, it's "MMA Cage Fighting" or "Naptime Cuddles" or "You Dropped The Soap Drowning Time" and the fact that my flock is so mixed in size and strength makes it hard to watch. They are a brotherhood but can and will hurt each other.
*** Lucky is currently isolated in the 'Healing House' -- unwilling or unable to place any weight on one leg after 4 days.

TLDR; I have an all male flock -- it's crazy!
The odds were obviously NOT in my favor last spring when my 2 'sexed' female goslings grew into ganders, my straight run of 9 ducklings (6 surviving shipping due to a freak cold snap) yielded 4 drakes/2 hens, and the 2 'sexed' female rescues I took in to try to "even things up" grew curly tail feathers a few weeks later. As soon as we hit 5 months old, the ladies started getting attention- - and being followed, everywhere. With 6 drakes and 2 ganders, I knew they wouldn't stand a chance, so I rehomed Queen B and Puddles to a lovely homestead and decided a "Home for Wayward Drakes" was the new plan.
Had to cull Curly (Black Swedish drake) when he (quite literally) became suicidal - a rapid onset neurological issue including trying to drown himself in the lake - possibly from a snakebite.
So now we are 7 -
1) Larry -Embden gander and Mama's boy
2) Lou - (previously Lucy) - INCREDIBLY LOUD White Chinese gander
3) Moe - (the Stooges Larry, Curly, Moe) - Pekin drake who thinks he's really a gander
4 ) Squiggy ( known male Runner)
5 - 6) Laverne and Shirley (The aforementioned rescue hens that weren't. Runners)
7) Lucky Duck - who was injured in transit as a duckling but grew into an absolutely BEAUTIFUL Blue Swedish drake
The boys are completely free range on a small lake with shelters available on land and on water. They get supplemental food, treats, but are never locked up/penned up with each other. They have acres of space available to spread out -- there are no females around to fight over -- but right now, it's "MMA Cage Fighting" or "Naptime Cuddles" or "You Dropped The Soap Drowning Time" and the fact that my flock is so mixed in size and strength makes it hard to watch. They are a brotherhood but can and will hurt each other.
*** Lucky is currently isolated in the 'Healing House' -- unwilling or unable to place any weight on one leg after 4 days.
Just have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your reply as it gave me a few giggles along the way :D How's Lucky and his leg now? Is it much better and he's walking well? I certainly hope so! 🍀🦆

I lost two runner hens and a drake over the winter, so I now have five hens and two drakes. There really wasn't any fighting before. Now, the boys have been getting totally stupid, with the younger one sustaining the most feather loss. USUALLY, I put him in a former duckling brooder house for a few hours, return him to the flock, and everybody gets along again. Until they don't.

Best wishes for Lucky!

Just have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your reply as it gave me a few giggles along the way :D How's Lucky and his leg now? Is it much better and he's walking well? I certainly hope so! 🍀🦆
Unfortunately, Lucky was 'given his wings' just this morning, after enjoying a final meal of peas and cherry tomatoes. After 2 weeks, his leg was getting worse - he still wouldn't put any weight on it, and his overall condition was deteriorating. The other boys have spent all day in and out of the Healing House looking for him - (no one can ever convince me that animals don't have bonds and feelings.) Thanks for asking - I hate this part of having a flock.

Back
Top Bottom