Question about heat lamps

JacksFlock

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Maine
Hey All,

We're wondering if an actual heat lamp is need for our new chicks. I've read in several places that a 100W bulb works just fine.

We don't own a heat lamp, so we'd love to use the 100W, but we'll buy a lamp when we pick up the chicks based on your replies

Thanks!

I am new to this myself, but..
From what I have read, a regular lightbulb wont put off the heat that the chicks need. The first week they need to be at about 95 degrees, 2nd week 90 degrees, and keep dropping by increments of 5 degrees. From what I understand, a red bulb is better than a white one.

I'm expecting my chicks May 24, I am trying to be as ready as possible
smile.png

hope that helps you a little, and maybe someone with some real experience can post as I just know what I have read.

I'd get one if I were you. For less than $20 at TSC you can get a brooder lamp and a 250W red heat bulb. Once you're done brooding, you can use the brooder lamp with regular bulbs as an extra worklight in the basement or whatever.

It really depends on where the brooder is. If it is in your house a 250 watt bulb will have to be up high or they will get to hot. You need to put a thermometer in the bottom of the brooder and see what the temp is an go by that. If the 100 watt doesn't reach the proper temp, then you will need a higher wattage bulb.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom