Question About Introducing Water Bucket W/Nipples

Granted, this is for only six in a brooder but you could use something like a 5G bucket and install 3-4 on it. I have a 5G in the main coop and just used chain to make a hanger around the bucket rather than that flimsy handle it comes with so it can't fall.

The bucket I'm using is a 2-Gal with 4 horizontal nipples. I bought it off Amazon. I tried again yesterday putting only the bucket in the pen for about 6 hours and put the regular waterer back in early evening. Again, about 6-7 chicks were immediately drinking from the open waterer which indicated to me they still weren't getting what they need from the bucket. I keep testing the nipples to make sure they are working and they are.

Not sure what to try at this point. I can keep leaving it as the only water source during the day and hope they eventually all can use it or give up and stay with the open feeder. I won't be home most of today to keep and eye on them so I'll leave the open waterer in place. Each time I have to put the regular waterer back in, it feels like I'm starting from scratch but I also am not into torturing the chicks with lack of water.

I guess I'll try a few more times and if they still can't grasp it, I'll move on.

I wonder if it's just that the horizontal nipples take more effort than the vertical ones? I was going to switch to horizontal ones with the new batch of chicks I'm getting this summer (have only used vertical in the past), but when I read that they are harder for chicks to use, decided to stay with vertical (or at least start with those and possibly switch later).

I wonder if it's just that the horizontal nipples take more effort than the vertical ones? I was going to switch to horizontal ones with the new batch of chicks I'm getting this summer (have only used vertical in the past), but when I read that they are harder for chicks to use, decided to stay with vertical (or at least start with those and possibly switch later).

Interesting because I hadn't heard they are harder for the chicks to use, although, I did not do research on vertical vs. horizontal but that possibly could be the issue. The bucket I bought had near 5 stars on Amazon so I didn't even give nipple position a thought!

Curious why you considered going to horizontal if you've using vertical. Do the vertical drip excessively when the chicks try to drink from them??

Interesting because I hadn't heard they are harder for the chicks to use, although, I did not do research on vertical vs. horizontal but that possibly could be the issue. The bucket I bought had near 5 stars on Amazon so I didn't even give nipple position a thought!

Curious why you considered going to horizontal if you've using vertical. Do the vertical drip excessively when the chicks try to drink from them??

Well, not having any firsthand experience with the horizontal ones, I read on here somewhere that they're spring loaded and harder to use, possibly better for older chickens. I used the vertical ones for my chickens when I was in Idaho, and never had any issues with them, except occasionally freezing up when it got very cold (I used a bucket heater in the bucket). I was considering changing only because I thought it would be easier to not have to worry about the nipples on the bottom of the bucket and the chickens having access - having them on the side of the bucket seemed more convenient.

I might glue some PVC pipe caps for "feet" on the bucket for the rare occasion I would like to set it down (i.e. cleaning). That's the one time the verticals pose a challenge. It seems easy enough to remedy, it just isn't a huge priority for me as I rarely need to clean the bucket.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have stopped trying to use the nipple bucket for now. Just been too busy to keep and eye on them during the day so I haven't put it back in. At this point, I'll wait until they get into the coop and maybe hang the nipple bucket in the chicken yard and leave the regular waterer in the coop. Over time, I can then see if they are using it when they are out in the yard.

I just bought that same one to use with my three chicks, maybe I'll wait until they get a little bigger to try it. I wonder if it would be useful to get one vertical one, like the one shown by @debid to get them used to the concept? I went horizontal because I was hoping there would be less chances for leaking...

I haven't tried the horizontal ones so I really don't know if they're more difficult, I just know the verticals are easy. But, I also know that chickens will rush to a dish of water when you add it just like they'll rush to a puddle after a rain or a dripping faucet. It doesn't mean they're thirsty. Chickens are simply hardwired to take full advantage of any newly discovered water supply. Mine go nuts for the nipple container after I refill it, too... Especially if I wasn't neat about it and there are drops on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom