Question about Modern Game Bantams.

Crow Mountain Chickens

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2018
AR
I am new to the breed. I bought some breeders from a guy that shows them quite a bit. I was wondering what these little naked spots on their wings are? They have been like this since I got them and even scabbed up a little bit. They dont seem to be new wounds or anything.

20181224_170522.jpg 20181224_170623.jpg 20181224_170601.jpg

I am new to the breed. I bought some breeders from a guy that shows them quite a bit. I was wondering what these little naked spots on their wings are? They have been like this since I got them and even scabbed up a little bit. They dont seem to be new wounds or anything.

View attachment 1623907 View attachment 1623908 View attachment 1623909
@DelaneyMGB25
I think it might be because Modern Games have hard, brittle feathers they parted in this area.
I’m not exactly sure why this happens, but it has occurred in two of my Roos, they scan up if a hen, or even the roo, is pecking at them, or if it just gets dry. I believe it does occur due to feather growth, it may or may not go away, but most of the time it does shrink/become mostly covered by feathers. If he is near molt, or just finished, it could be due to that. The one red spot looks ok, and looks like what one of my roosters currently has. The scab be done should eventually turn red too. The scab should act like a normal scab, and fall off/heal up, but if he is in with hens, make sure to remove them if they peck at it. We had a game bird that had these spots destroyed due to a pair of hens, but after giving him to a friend, he came home a little while later completely healed, after separation from hens. Hopefully that will heal up! I have personally never used medicine on these spots, they usually clear up on their own. He is a very pretty bird!
Merry Christmas!

View attachment 1623907 View attachment 1623908 View attachment 1623909

I think if you will wet the breast feathers you will see bare skin right down the middle. That’s just how they are. If you show moderns you will find out they are suppose to be “hard feathered” and no soft like so many other breeds. My granddaughter will be showing some Birchen Modern Game Bantams at the County youth show. She is also showing Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantams. Their feathers are really soft compared to the moderns.

Back
Top Bottom