Question about normal egg laying behavior

urban-chick-mom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Gig Harbor, WA
My 22 week old NHR started laying eggs last Friday. She laid 3 days in a row and now the last 2 days, no eggs. I watched her today and she went up to the nesting box at least 3 times. Each time I checked and no egg. Is this common for young chickens? I also have a 22 week old White Leghorn that has been laying for 3 weeks now and she only missed 2 days. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
According to my two chicken books - no laughing - Storey's Guide and Raising Chickens for Dummies (I said, no laughing!), pullets will lay their first few eggs with many days break in between. Apparently my girls have read at least this section of both books because they are taking breaks in between (long breaks). They only started laying last Sunday - 1 egg in the morning, another in the evening (2 different hens). Then my Barred Rock Jane Austen laid an egg yesterday. No egg today from any of them.

I've got 11 in my flock. It's a slow start, but I wasn't expecting them to begin laying for another week or so.
wee.gif

To WriterChick,
I am not laughing at all. That is a great idea to have a book. Everything I am learning so far has been from this website. I guess I won't worry about the girls. I just thought it odd that Lucy(NHR) went up to the nesting box 3 times today. I am sure she was trying to lay an egg but didn't succeed. I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with her. Being a new mom, I think I worry too much! Now I'm laughing! I noticed you have BO's. Are they laying? My 3rd hen is a BO. She looks like she is getting close. Her comb and wattle are getting redder and she is starting to do the egg squat.

Quote:
I currently have only one chicken out of nine who is laying, and these are my first chickens. But I can share that when my Golden Comet first started laying (Aug. 14) laid 5 perfect eggs five days in a row, then she took a day off, then she laid a fart egg, then she laid an egg with a weird shell, and since then, she has laid perfect eggs like a machine. I think it is "normal" but every chicken has a different "normal."

Thanks for the info. I have heard of the fart egg but haven't seen one yet!
Quote:
I currently have only one chicken out of nine who is laying, and these are my first chickens. But I can share that when my Golden Comet first started laying (Aug. 14) laid 5 perfect eggs five days in a row, then she took a day off, then she laid a fart egg, then she laid an egg with a weird shell, and since then, she has laid perfect eggs like a machine. I think it is "normal" but every chicken has a different "normal."

Update on my NHR(Lucy).....After not laying an egg for 4 days she laid a huge egg today. It was bigger than the large eggs we buy at the store. No wonder it took her so long! YEA!

Back
Top Bottom