Question about Rotties

True Grit

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Orono, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I really know nothing about Rottweilers but I know some forum members do so I hope one can answer my question. It is just curiosity really.
At agility class there is a gorgeous Rottie female pup, between 5 and 6 months old I think. She was getting overly excited at the chute, so while the instructor was holding her, waiting to send her through the chute to her owner, the instructor lifted under her collar a little so the collar would press on the back of her neck to help calm her down. The pup snarled angrily at the instructor for several seconds, about enough to make me sit up and take notice. I was just kind of surprised to hear the snarling coming out of a sweet pup like that. The instructor said she was having a little temper tantrum and the owner said, "Do you know about Rotties?" and the instructor said yes so the owner didn't have to explain anything to the instructor but I am clueless as to what they meant. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

She was probably just overly enthused and frustrated, not actually being aggressive. I've seen dogs of many breeds, but especially German Sheps, Border Collies and a few rotties do this when they REALLY want to play. Also, rotties and GSDs can be very vocal especially when young, so it's probably not much to worry about.
I'd be more worried about why a pup that young is in agility class. It's not wise to start them that young. Unless it's just some foundation work, no jumping, low contacts and very little repetition

Lots of dogs of any breed will really make noise when they are ramped up and you get them up on the collar. It is very hard to make a judgement without having been there to see the situation.

This behavior would not surprise me in the slightest with my younger dog, KK. It would not be typical, however, of her mother. Different dogs, different drive levels.

All righty, thanks both. It is a fun class for an hour a week and the jumps are really low so hopefully ok for her. She didn't offer to bite or anything, just frustrated maybe..

Back
Top Bottom