QUESTION ABOUT SIZE

sixshooter60

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Stuart Oklahoma
Ok I know it probably has been said a million times on here but i cant seem to find it . I have seen alot of folks posting about jumbo browns which from what i have read on here they are just Pharaoh that are bigger .i have read on here that a normal Pharaoh weighs from 31/2 to 5 ozs and that a jumbo can weigh up to a pound.. Ok what i would like to know is what is the cut off weight that determines what is considered normal and what is jumbo.. i have what i thought is normal Pharaoh and i have weighed them with digital scales and some have tipped the scales at 8 ozs.. so would they be called jumbo or just normal... just curious .. thanks

I have Jumbo brown and they weigh adverage of 12 oz's but I have had some get larger, just not as large as 1pd. that would be huge in any circumstance. As for yours I would consider them normal, but as for a cut off point.. I think it would be around 8 to 10oz's, not sure though, others may have a different opinion. Also I have seen normal Cortunix weigh out at 11oz's and that came from a small bird of approx 6 oz's. So really I think it's all about selective breeding...Again, others can and may have different opinions, I guess it's just up to yourself to decide what you think....

Hey brother! I don't have jumbos...yet, so didn't want to give you an opinion answer, try to just give facts as I know them...hopefully some of the Jumbo breeders will get in here and weigh in.

Any bird that makes my breeder pens must weigh 350 grams @ 8 weeks.... I know several good breeders that want 300 grams at 6 weeks to make the cut.... These are jumbos.

No, I don't have the biggest. There are more people than just me that work on size. I simply just wrote what I look for in my breeders. Lots of selective breeding and culling to get the size there. You guys do that as well I am sure.

What kind of quail is jumbo? I have got some pharaoh that are different colors. Are jumbos nice? Mine are really really nice.

Back
Top Bottom