Question about the slow feathering gene

Jun 20, 2019
Mississippi
I have 4 BLRW chicks. Their dad was slow slow feathering but he turned out very nicely. Two of his offspring are slower to feather—they kinda look like him when he was their age. Is the slow feathering gene tied to gender at all?

I have 4 BLRW chicks. Their dad was slow slow feathering but he turned out very nicely. Two of his offspring are slower to feather—they kinda look like him when he was their age. Is the slow feathering gene tied to gender at all?
It can be. If you breed slow female to fast male (or the other way around, I don't remember) you get fast daughters and slow sons. But usually breeds are all either slow or fast feathered

My Isabel cuckoo Orpington is never going to feather out. He has wing feathers but his poor body. Luckily it's hot outside!

Attachments

• D9EB8CBF-130D-4675-883E-12196D849DEE.jpeg
    D9EB8CBF-130D-4675-883E-12196D849DEE.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 3
...Poultry bred toward the APA standard are slow growers and slow to feather out. It takes 18 months for a Wyandotte to fully mature. http://www.foleyswaterfowl.com/wyandottes-faq.html
Well I know he's full blood line. The guy who gave him to me breeds them. He will have black tipped feathers, the breeder keeps the lavender tipped roosters.. Or something like that, it got way over my head quick. I just know he'll be a very big bird But not the highly sought after color.

Back
Top Bottom