Question about water for new chics

dtanner

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 4, 2007
I have several baby chics that are only 2-3 weeks old. 3 have gotten pasty butt and one of them died. My question is, I seem to have read that pasty butt is a result of not getting enough water. I have a waterer in there and keep it full and clean. I see some of them drinking out of it occasionally. Will the chics drink as water is needed by their bodies? How do I know if they are getting enough water? I guess ultimately what I'm trying to figure out is, if there is water in there, will they drink it? Also is there a possible other reason for the pasty butt?

Thanks.

pasty butt is caused by there poo beinging to wet so they are getting enough water . i dont know what causes it. maybe some one else can help you there

You can lead a chicken to water, but you cant make it drink. Maybe that was a horse, if they need water they will drink, assuming they know where the water is and can get to it.

I agree with SC - pasty butt usually is from some kind of stress. I've only really had this problem with shipped chicks or weaker hatched chicks.

Maybe add a binder to the feed, as well...like a oatmeal powder. Baby cereal is great.

Just be sure to keep those fuzzy butts cleaned well and often. The way I've always done it is a small bowl of warm water and a paper towel. Soak the toosh for a minute or two to soften the poo, and gently remove it with the towel.

I just always kept water in there box. I had to change it a couple times a day because it got nasty but they will drink whenever they feel like it.

All in my 5 brooder boxes drink lots of water. I had three shipment of baby chicks, only one breed got pasty butt- the seabrights 10 out of 12. I caught it very early on, clean all butts and took a Q-tip and swabbed a ring of olive oil around their butts. No more pasty butt from any of them.

I know someone mentioned if the brooder is too cold - but too hot will have the same effect. Keep the bottoms clean and they should be fine. Verify your brooder temp by placing a thermometer direcly under the light. You can also tell if its too warm if the chicks are trying to stay away from the light, panting and looking droopy. If it's too cold, they cuddle directly under the light on a pile and sometimes look droopy too (from trying to stay standing to get closer to the heat). Hard boiled egg yolk and oatmeal and good diet supplements to help with this as well.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom