Question for the color genetics experts!

But you looked it up, which is always sensible, while I made assumptions-- in a few months, when the chicks have hatched and feathered out, we may know which of us is right :)
LOL. If only it were THAT easy. I am really after golden spangled. (But would also be fine with Chamois) But I would MUCH prefer if they weren't screwing with the genetics. And I could just get what I WANT instead of "you get what you get". {I mean they are THEIR birds, they can obviously do what THEY want LOL} I don't want to screw with a hatchery. So am trying to go with someone that isn't a hatchery. (AND is fairly local so I won't have to mess with the USPS either!) I didn't even bother mentioning that there is also another color in the breeding pen too! (Mainly because I can't remember what it is!)

am trying to go with someone that isn't a hatchery. (AND is fairly local so I won't have to mess with the USPS either!)

You could ask if they have hatched chicks from this combination of rooster/hens before, or from a pen with the same colors. Or what color the parents of these birds were.

That might provide enough information to make a more informed choice.

For example, if they always use a chamois rooster with gold spangled hens, and always get 1/2 of each kind, and always pick a new chamois rooster and gold spangled hens from the chicks--then you should be able to get some gold spangled from them, and you'll know the two colors only differ by one gene.

Or you could get some of the chicks and raise them up and see what you get. (Might end up with unsatisfactory colors, wasted time, and a pot of chicken soup at the end. But might get exactly what you want.)

You could ask if they have hatched chicks from this combination of rooster/hens before, or from a pen with the same colors. Or what color the parents of these birds were.

That might provide enough information to make a more informed choice.

For example, if they always use a chamois rooster with gold spangled hens, and always get 1/2 of each kind, and always pick a new chamois rooster and gold spangled hens from the chicks--then you should be able to get some gold spangled from them, and you'll know the two colors only differ by one gene.

Or you could get some of the chicks and raise them up and see what you get. (Might end up with unsatisfactory colors, wasted time, and a pot of chicken soup at the end. But might get exactly what you want.)
I'm generally not one for "you get what you get". I am too old, I KNOW how that works out with me and it isn't good. I know what I want and if I "settle" then I resent it. That is just who I am, no changing it at this late date! LOL I also like "one and done". Rather than constantly having to get things, then get rid of them and start over because the first wasn't what I really wanted.

Back
Top Bottom