Question on Cornish X and green meat?

Chickending

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Minnesota
I have noticed on a few of the ones I have cooked that a strip of green colored meat is right next to the breast bone inside and I mean the meat attached right to the breast bone. It just ends too doesn't streak through the meat. Does anyone know where this comes from? These were processed by a professional processor so not sure if something they did caused this. In my last batch this didn't show up.

Is this safe to eat? as I did taste it and the taste is no different than the other part of the breast meat.

Has anyone had this before?

Thanks
Donna

it is a green color though, real green, I was just wondering if maybe a bile sac or something got cut in the butchering process.

There was another thread about this over the summer. It is the chicken tender that turns green and had something to do with the growth rate of the cornish. I will see if I can find it for you.

Quote:
That's gross looking.
sickbyc.gif

Chickending....Is this what yours looked like? If so I would not dare eat it.

That's truly one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. Now I really never want to raise Cornish X's again.

Any reports of this ever happening with the color rangers? I wouldn't think so because they're so active, but any of you who've raised them, ever see this?

Its called Deep Pectoral Myopathy. I've had it happen in a few birds from one batch a year or so ago. By my understanding it is actually often caused by excessive exercise. It can happen in any large breasted breed of poultry. If the breast muscle gets swollen the blood flow to the tenderloin gets cut off and that muscle goes necrotic (dies). Yes, it looks nasty...but none of the other meat is effected....don't eat the tenderloin though!

Hope this helps!

Shane in Stoutsville

Back
Top Bottom