Question on re-homing my flock

backyardgirls

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 13, 2007
Bakersfield, CA
One of my neighbors in the city complained about my 4 chickens and so the city gave me roughly 10 days to relocate them. Luckily I am able to keep them and relocate to a new coop/run in the county. The down side is I won’t be able to spend as much time with them but for a while I thought I would have to give my girls away so I guess it’s a trade off.

We are going to make the move this weekend and my question is should it be done during the day when they are awake or in the evening when they are sleepy and they can wake up in the new coop. I’m trying to make it as smooth a transition as possible.

Neighbors, ya can't live withem and ya can't live withem
barnie.gif
Sorry this happened. Hope all goes well with the move. At least it sounds like you already have somewhere to take them.

Chickens adapt so well that I wouldn't really worry about time of day. I have bought and sold chickens and the minute they get into a new locale they are pretty curious and start exploring their new surroundings. Just make sure their new home is well prepared and secure. Are there other birds at the new place, if so then it will be a bit trickier! Best of luck!
smile.png

They're going to be construction chickens
big_smile.png

My dad has an equipment yard for his consturction company. He built the coop and run right between his office and his heavy backhoe.
tongue.png

I won't get to spend as much time with them but on the plus side there are lots of people there everyday to help look after them.

Well at least you can keep them. I was going to say, my whole family lives there in Bakersfield, I could see if they could take them, but this is better. I'd do it at night, and let them wake up to new digs.

I agree with LoneCowboy, wait until they roost at night and are sleeping, them place them in a box with air holes, seal it and move them with as little noise and jostling as possible. Place them on the roost in their new coop and let them wake up there.

I was pretty mad when I got the letter from the city. I've had them since May and someone waits till now to complain.:thun

I tried to find out who filed the complaint but they won't share the info.

Back
Top Bottom