My 1st Chickeniversary! And a rooster question...

WyoChick1

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Wyoming
Hi! I haven't been on here much lately, because we've had such a great first year with our first flock! They're such good and easy birds! I cannot believe we've had them about a year now (born on Valentine's Day).
Quick question though. Our rooster is our youngest, given to me by someone in city limits who couldn't keep him. He won't be a year old until around April. We live in Wyoming and it's cold in the winter, and long nights. Starting to get lighter now, but still chilly. The chickens spend more time in the coop during these months. We've noticed several hens with missing back feathers, presumably from the rooster. Will this get better in the summer, when they are busier outside? Or is it not due to being "cooped up," but he is just being a rooster? He's not the worst roo, but he does scare my youngest child, and came at me once or twice. He respects my husband, and my older daughter. The hens all seem happy, just bare-backed. I don't love this rooster, but I don't want to get rid of him unnecessarily either. What do you think?

It is permissible to separate a rooster from the hens, at least some of the time. Here is a very valuable tip - fence off a corner of the coop and later on, the run. It needn't be large, a few square feet. Use mesh fencing so the rooster, when incarcerated, can still see and talk to the hens. This will greatly reduce the amount of mating that takes place, saving wear and tear on the hens.

As for the roo, he needs training and discipline, especially by you so that he learns to respect you. If he's aggressive toward the kids, that's a big strike against him, especially if the children are toddlers and small. Injuries can be very serious when a roo attacks a child. If he shows continued aggression toward the kids, it would be best to get rid of him.

Generally speaking they get better at mating as they get older.
How many missing back feathers? A few here and there isn't really a problem but large bare back patches may require something like an apron for a while.
Is the rooster much larger than the hens?

Thanks. My daughters are 12 and 16, so not small. But it's still intimidating and annoying. My 16 year old is brave and very good with animals, like her dad, so they seem ok with this rooster, but I am not terribly thrilled with him. I know he is very young. Separating him for some times is a good thought, thank you!

He is larger than the hens, but they are all pretty good sized birds, so Idk. One or two has skin showing, the others have just like a tufty looking spot. There are 11 hens to 1 rooster, so it should be ok, but apparently he has favorites? Or maybe the other hens re-pluck the bare spots?

He is larger than the hens, but they are all pretty good sized birds, so Idk. One or two has skin showing, the others have just like a tufty looking spot. There are 11 hens to 1 rooster, so it should be ok, but apparently he has favorites? Or maybe the other hens re-pluck the bare spots?
They do have favourites.
If the bare patches are on the hens shoulder blades and middle lower back then it's unlikely other hens have plucked the feathers.
You can file the roosters toe nails smooth; this helps sometimes.
If he has spurs then filing any points round and checking for rough patches along the spur and smoothing those may help.

Thank you! Yes, the bare parts are all right here, on their backs above the tail. I've not seen any bare necks or shoulders.

1000012099.jpg

That looks like mites or lice to me? Not quite in the right spot for rooster damage. Watch your birds, are they doing that themselves, trying to get at the bugs?

Hmm, ok, I'll keep an eye on it. It's so cold and dry here, I usually don't worry about bug problems, but I am still a newbie to all of this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom