Question on Socializing Baby Chicks

1newchickontheblock

Songster
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Eastern MA
We received our peeps this monday 4/12 - How much should we be handling them to accustom them to us - we are aiming for family friendly birds. I check them a few times a day for pasty butt, etc, but they are seeming more skittish than ever, at @ 3 days old. Should we handle them more at this time? Less? Wait til they're a little older? And when we do handle them, how long should we hold them for? These probably seem like silly questions, but I really have no clue!
idunno.gif

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks
big_smile.png

The way to a chicken's heart is through it's stomach...they are TREAT OBSESSED. At 3 days old, there aren't too many treats to give them yet, but chopped up hard-boiled egg is good for them. They'll be afraid of it at first. I usually put a little bit on a small plate and put it in the brooder....you'll probably have to wait several minutes, even up to a half hour before they figure out it's delicious, then they'll gobble it up. Next day, offer the eggs from your hand. It'll only take a couple days, and you'll have them running to you looking for treats, and even jumping into your hands and on your arms!

love.gif
Hi, I love spending time with those new babies! Here's what I did(I'm retired) First daylight hours, as chicks wake up, the first thing the see is my face & my hands,me talking "chick-chick chow" as I placed my hand down near them with chick feed in my palm. They quickly learned I was a good thing - FOOD! I'd spend a minimum of 20 minutes stroking each chick and talking to them every morning. After a couple days, they would run into my hand. I'd scratch a finger on the bottom of their pen, to give them the idea where to find some food. As soon as the weather allowed~Temps high 80's, I took my brood out in the sun for a few hours of earth time. They loved walking around near our feet as we sat watching them. Again, I'd place a small pile 1TBSP or so, of the chick feed on the ground, and scratch my finger at the pile. Those chicks took right to the idea, scratching with their little feet and eating! After a couple hours, they seemed tired & I placed their pen outside so they would go take a nap in their mini "coop"

Last edited:
Nice! I leave their food in the brooder 24/7 - Should I take it out at night, when they go to sleep? I didn't know if they were like human babies, and get up to eat throughout the night...?

Back
Top Bottom