Question re: Burdock?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So we went up camping in the mountains. It was super fun. It came up that we wanted to try to identify some of the plants and their uses. One of the ones identified was burdock.

When we looked it up burdock was used by pioneers. You can eat it. Lots of uses. The taproot is big and you can eat it.

There's one small issue though; it says that cockleburr and burdock look exactly the same. And its hard to tell them apart. Xanthium is the other name for burdock.

I wanted to ask for advice on this? I honestly can't tell the difference between the 2 of them even with guides and pictures. They look like the same thing. is it possible they actually are the same thing but just got named different? Even the burrs and flowers look similar on them.

As a side question also, we were looking at chamomile. Some of the flowers there were chamomile with white flowers. But there were some of them that had like 20% or more of the plant's white flowers turning varying shades of white and purple. I wanted to make sure there wasn't something like chamomile that can look like and do that with purple flowers? And maybe there's more than 1 variety of chamomile? I wondered this partly because... say clover for example has tons of different varieties and will have different colored blooms depending on which kind you have. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.

There's one small issue though; it says that cockleburr and burdock look exactly the same. And its hard to tell them apart. Xanthium is the other name for burdock.
"They can be quickly differentiated by their leaves. Common cocklebur leaves are triangular to kidney-shaped and have toothed margins. Common burdock leaves are heart-shaped and have smooth margins."

The "bur" parts are differently shaped too. Is it possible that the same plant has two common names where you are?

Thanks for the reply. I'm near the Rocky Mountains (border of WY and UT). Also it seemed like sometimes the 'burdock' (if it wasn't cockleburr) looked fuzzy on younger leaves but not on older leaves. Not sure if that means anything?

Burdock is an amazing plant. People used it to avoid starvation a few times in our country's history, primarily in the west.

By margins you mean the leaf edges?

Thank you very much. Some of you know so much on this forum, its amazing.

Back
Top Bottom