Question regarding hens and roos

chknskratch

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
Eastern TN
I have 5 month old chickens, should I be able to tell which ones are hens and which ones are roosters by now? Forgive my ignorance to the matter but I am new at this! :idunno

In the meanwhile I hope this helps.

Roos by this point should have pointy saddle and hackle feathers. For example, on my roo, right before his tail are long pointy golden-blue saddle feathers, they can be any color, but this is where they are located, females will have rounded feathers that match the rest of the body feathers.
Males also have pointy hackle feathers which is located on the neck. Which on my roo, is also golden colored.

Some roosters will also get a dark red patch of glossy feathers on the wing, which my rooster also has.
(Don't mind his crest(head feathers) is half missing, other roosters were pulling them out until we got rid of them)

Here is a pullet to compare to, rounded saddle feathers, no pointed hackle feathers, and no dark red patches on the wings.

Last edited:
In the meanwhile I hope this helps. Roos by this point should have pointy saddle and hackle feathers. For example, on my roo, right before his tail are long pointy golden-blue saddle feathers, they can be any color, but this is where they are located, females will have rounded feathers that match the rest of the body feathers. Males also have pointy hackle feathers which is located on the neck. Which on my roo, is also golden colored. Some roosters will also get a dark red patch of glossy feathers on the wing, which my rooster also has. (Don't mind his crest(head feathers) is half missing, other roosters were pulling them out until we got rid of them) Here is a pullet to compare to, rounded saddle feathers, no pointed hackle feathers, and no dark red patches on the wings.
Thanks for the info, that does help! Here are a few that I am just not too sure about, the other ones have all the signs of a rooster or hens.
I know the little gold one is a hen for sure, she has all the traits of a female.

I want to say that the barred ones are roos, its had to tell in photos for me for barred chickens. Its light colored and has just yellow legs, females usually are darker barred and have darker legs. Its looks kind of like it has the thinner pointy saddle and hackle feathers, the only thing throwing me off, is that I would expect more comb for that age of a roo. Someone else will have to chime in.

Thanks for the info, that does help!

Here are a few that I am just not too sure about, the other ones have all the signs of a rooster or hens.

Both roosters

Both roosters

Barred Rooster

Red Sex Link pullet

RSL pullet

I know the little gold one is a hen for sure, she has all the traits of a female.

Back
Top Bottom