Questionable breed from hatchery: Barred Rock with yellow faces?

The only thing I could come up with is Barred Rock X Buff Orpington. But it is not exact. The yellow faced ones do have a head spot.
LL

Took another shot, just to show how much variance there is to their faces. Sorry for poor quality, I decided to wait until after dark, and their heat lamp casts the red glow of course. :)

Hi there!

The local Tractor Supply had some BR chicks available in straight run. I'm looking to round out my hens at 30, so I grabbed some. My mistake not getting a better look at them in advance.

Noticed once I got them home that about half of them look like standard BR chicks, and the other half have yellow faces with the little stripes next to the eyes. Does that ever happen in BR chicks? I've never seen it before. If not, what the heck am I looking at? They're still mostly black otherwise, with white spots on the heads. Their tiny little wing feathers seem to have some brown fleck dusting to them, now that they're growing out a little.

I asked the Tractor Supply if they had them in with any other breeds, of course they said no. And "you never know with that hatchery", which was reassuring... /s.

Whatever they are, they are super cute!!!

Updated photos:

They've feathered out a little bit more. Lighting still wasn't great for these.
The ones that had yellow on their faces ended up having the most white on them, like I'd expect to see on barred roos.

These are mostly black-face (they looked like standard barred rock chicks).

And this is one of the ones that had the yellow face. Notice how much white is on his chest: all of the yellow-faced ones look similar to this.

Updated photos:

They've feathered out a little bit more. Lighting still wasn't great for these.
The ones that had yellow on their faces ended up having the most white on them, like I'd expect to see on barred roos.

These are mostly black-face (they looked like standard barred rock chicks).

And this is one of the ones that had the yellow face. Notice how much white is on his chest: all of the yellow-faced ones look similar to this.

Definitely not Barred Rocks. Mixed breeds.

Makes me wonder if they got a shipment of black sex link cockerels? I agree it's odd from a hatchery, but we see weird things here
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom