Questions about candycorn polish coloring...

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
I just put in a order recently for 6 candycorn polish eggs that won't be coming until spring since they are not laying quite yet. Anyways... I understand from doing some research that candycorn polish are the product of a crele polish and a tolbunt polish? I have a few questions about breeding them so if you have bred candycorn polish before and can help me out that would be great!

Questions~
~If I bred 2 candycorns together would they breed true?

~If I bred a candycorn to the following colors what would I get?- white crested blue, tolbunt or crele

~I have noticed from pics on Google that some candycorn polish have a lighter coloring almost like a pastel coloring and others are much darker. How would I get that lighter pastel like coloring?

Thanks!

They'd be Crele X Mille Fleur, or Tolbunt. This would make them Crele mottled.

Why they describe a mottling pattern with a different name, I don't know.

For the lighter color, with Crele there'll be different shades of the same coloration. You could breed for one shade, or let there be a variety of shades.

An example of different shades.

Father Red
20201119_134037.jpg
Son more Golden
20201207_141239.jpg
These are from my old project I'm no longer working on. Plus the light guy, Goober died a couple days ago from cancer.

I just put in a order recently for 6 candycorn polish eggs that won't be coming until spring since they are not laying quite yet. Anyways... I understand from doing some research that candycorn polish are the product of a crele polish and a tolbunt polish? I have a few questions about breeding them so if you have bred candycorn polish before and can help me out that would be great!

Questions~
~If I bred 2 candycorns together would they breed true?

~If I bred a candycorn to the following colors what would I get?- white crested blue, tolbunt or crele

~I have noticed from pics on Google that some candycorn polish have a lighter coloring almost like a pastel coloring and others are much darker. How would I get that lighter pastel like coloring?

Thanks!
Yes, candy corn breeds true.

Candy corn x white crested blue - half blue and half black chicks, they will probably have partial gold lacing, 50-100% of the chicks will be barred depending on which variety is which parent
Candy corn x tolbunt - 50-100% barred offspring, will have gold lacing, will carry mottling (so could pass it to their offspring) but not show it
Candy corn x crele - depends on the crele’s genetics, candy corns are sometimes called crele

If you want a lighter coloring, breed the birds with a lighter coloring. The darker ones are usually roosters with only one copy of the barring gene, which is incorrect for this pattern.

They'd be Crele X Mille Fleur, or Tolbunt. This would make them Crele mottled.

Why they describe a mottling pattern with a different name, I don't know.

For the lighter color, with Crele there'll be different shades of the same coloration. You could breed for one shade, or let there be a variety of shades.
Tolbunt is not mille fleur. Tolbunt is mottled gold laced.

Back
Top Bottom