Questions about coop bedding

Do you think I would be able to turn the hardware cloth we used on the floor as an apron by just cutting it and bending it in the opposite direction so that it spreads out from the coop? I'd hate to waste all that wire!

Possibly? Hardware cloth is pretty malleable. If you decide to go that route definitely measure everything ahead of time before trying it - a good apron should be about 18" or more in my opinion. You'll have to supplement with more material to cover the corners at least and possibly one or two of the sides, depending on how the material is cut.

The HC underneath the coop itself is 2 2ft wide strips that if I folded them outward would spread out just under 2 ft and then I would just need to put a piece along the back. I think it will be trickier in the run because we ran the wire sheets in the opposite direction.

My husband was thinking since the wire is flush with the grass right now, if we fill the run with at least 3 inches of sand the chickens wouldn't really ever touch the wire. He also said once we put the coop where we plan to move it, it will stay there, so that will give me more options, I'm going to have to really do some brainstorming.

Back
Top Bottom