Questions about egg laying

MarcieDM

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
New Iberia Louisiana
I have 2 RIR and 6 gold comets. Most of them have started laying but I have never gotten 8 eggs yet. I get between 6-7 a day. I know for a fact that both of the RIRs are laying. Not sure which of the gold comets aren't. Is it possible for a chicken to not have any eggs or is one of them just slow to lay?

How old are your hens?

Could be slow to lay, could be that new layers can be irregular. I have five 24-week-old hens. Four are laying; three every day, one every other day and one not at all yet. The only reason I know which one isn't laying is that they are all different breeds and I'm going by egg color.

It's absolutely normal. It takes new layers awhile to get on a regular cycle. And some chickens take longer than others to get started

I have some silkie bantams really feathery on feet i have around 6 hens and 3 or 4 roosters.
There about 1 year and 4 months or so and im not getting tons of eggs like i thought chickens lay 1 egg a day for each hen.
Same goes for my Americana black chickens. I feed Cracked corn barley oats wheat to them and i just started today to let them free-range.

Chickens lay on a cycle. Most lay around 5 eggs a week. Also, cracked corn should not account for more than 10% of their diet, so they may not be getting enough nutrition

What about there Wheat Barley oats how much would that pertain to there diet? I was thinking of getting soybeans a well

Back
Top Bottom