Questions concerning lockdown and humidity

koris

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Colorado
So yesterday was day 20 for my lil eggs. We seen a few start moving yesterday and this morning I heard a little peep!!! (first incubation) My question is I live in a dry climate (Colorado/ New Mexico border) and I have increased my humidity to 67. I have noticed that it is fluctuation between 65-67% and I have been having to add water to add humidity to keep it at 67%. With me being in a dry climate is this enough humidity so they wont be sticky in the shell?? I am worried about going to high and drowning them. Is it normal to have to add water durning lockdown? Or is it because I live in a dry area??
(no i am not opening the incubator, I have found a way to add water using a plastic tube and a medicine dropper)

Any info for me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your hatch!! I probably would try and save the scissor beak chick too.
big_smile.png
Thanks! I am going to try and give him a life! I can't bring myself to kill him!! Cyclopes is just like the rest of the chickens, except he is even more special!!! (kids named him) I am going to try and help him eat until he gets a little older and can help himself. He is so darn cute, and like my 8 year old daughter said while kissing his head "I like him just the way he is"
None of the other chicks look like they are messed up. I had 3 eggs die before hatch too (they were alive at lock down). I don't think I will be hatching them to see what happened. I have had enough of being traumatized today! Mind you, I did a staggered hatch, so I have been hatching since Monday (I haven't had much sleep making sure the incubator was staying the right temp because we burn wood so the house isn't a consistent temp. And the last 4 nights have been the hardest making sure everything was going well! I can't wait to sleep all night tonight, HOPEFULLY) ... Last one hatched about 2 hours ago! I couldn't wait to get him out and shut it off!! I candled the 3 eggs that I need to discard of, and didn't see veins, or any beaks in the air sac... sad, but I am okay with the hatch I have!!!

It looks like it has a dry membrane around it! I guess it is too low, so I highered the humidity... IS that okay? also should i run a humidifier in the room since the room is dry too???? I don't want to lose these babies!!!!!!!!

Are there water drops on the glass? What is the humidity?
For the first 18 days I had it between 45-49%, than I raised it to 60-65%. Last night when I woke up to check on the chicks, around 4, the humidity was 63%. I boosted it up this morning around 6, and yes there were drops on the glass, but within an hour it drops again. After I seen the white, dry looking membrane I raised it to 70-75% but it wont stay there, dropped to 73% now. I am worried about the rest of the chicks that are suppose to hatch... am I at rise of them drying out???

Ps I live in a dry climate....

I have a few more wiggiling in the eggs. One more cracked shell around 5pm. I am hoping I will have about 4 chicks fully hatch tomorrow! I will keep update and pix

So my lil chick hatched at 12am! He is so adorable. It is an Orphington (hen) and amerucana (rooster) mix. He is orange with black highlights throughout his feathers.
I have 5 more shells cracked, and I believe that 1 should be full hatched by noon today. Out of the 14 I had in lockdown (staggered start too) I will have 6 chicks that I can see so far breaking out of shell. I still have tomorrow to be day 21 for the last set of staggered eggs. I hope I get a few more to hatch, but I will be just fine with the 6, but there is a possibility that tomorrow that count could go up to 10!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom