Questions concerning lockdown and humidity

Congratulations on your hatch!! I probably would try and save the scissor beak chick too.
big_smile.png
Thanks! I am going to try and give him a life! I can't bring myself to kill him!! Cyclopes is just like the rest of the chickens, except he is even more special!!! (kids named him) I am going to try and help him eat until he gets a little older and can help himself. He is so darn cute, and like my 8 year old daughter said while kissing his head "I like him just the way he is"
None of the other chicks look like they are messed up. I had 3 eggs die before hatch too (they were alive at lock down). I don't think I will be hatching them to see what happened. I have had enough of being traumatized today! Mind you, I did a staggered hatch, so I have been hatching since Monday (I haven't had much sleep making sure the incubator was staying the right temp because we burn wood so the house isn't a consistent temp. And the last 4 nights have been the hardest making sure everything was going well! I can't wait to sleep all night tonight, HOPEFULLY) ... Last one hatched about 2 hours ago! I couldn't wait to get him out and shut it off!! I candled the 3 eggs that I need to discard of, and didn't see veins, or any beaks in the air sac... sad, but I am okay with the hatch I have!!!

Thanks! I am going to try and give him a life! I can't bring myself to kill him!! Cyclopes is just like the rest of the chickens, except he is even more special!!! (kids named him) I am going to try and help him eat until he gets a little older and can help himself. He is so darn cute, and like my 8 year old daughter said while kissing his head "I like him just the way he is"
None of the other chicks look like they are messed up. I had 3 eggs die before hatch too (they were alive at lock down). I don't think I will be hatching them to see what happened. I have had enough of being traumatized today! Mind you, I did a staggered hatch, so I have been hatching since Monday (I haven't had much sleep making sure the incubator was staying the right temp because we burn wood so the house isn't a consistent temp. And the last 4 nights have been the hardest making sure everything was going well! I can't wait to sleep all night tonight, HOPEFULLY) ... Last one hatched about 2 hours ago! I couldn't wait to get him out and shut it off!! I candled the 3 eggs that I need to discard of, and didn't see veins, or any beaks in the air sac... sad, but I am okay with the hatch I have!!!

If Cyclopes makes it, I'm sure he will be spoiled rotten! I have one last egg I am waiting on hatching, so I know what you mean about the lack of sleep. I have work in the morning, so hopefully my last egg does fine without my nose pressed against the window of the bator. :) hope you and Cyclopes have a great night!

Here are my 11 fluffy butts. Top photo of Cyclopes. I feed him today with mash and using a medicine dropper for water. The black ones are my bantam cochin amerucana roosters, and the rest are from my amerucana rooster. Hens are Orphington, RIR, Amerucana and barred rocks.

Here are my 11 fluffy butts. Top photo of Cyclopes. I feed him today with mash and using a medicine dropper for water. The black ones are my bantam cochin amerucana roosters, and the rest are from my amerucana rooster. Hens are Orphington, RIR, Amerucana and barred rocks.
Looks like you have a nice variety of babies there! They are really cute!

Koris, I'm very happy to see your approach to your scissor-beak chick. We have one, too, (and one-eyed) and my wife has been hand-feeding and watering him for 3 weeks and he's doing well. In the past couple days, he seems to be getting a better idea how to feed himself. Like you, we could not bear to kill him, and decided to give him the best possible life no matter how brief it might be....so long as he is not suffering, he's with us.

Koris, I'm very happy to see your approach to your scissor-beak chick. We have one, too, (and one-eyed) and my wife has been hand-feeding and watering him for 3 weeks and he's doing well. In the past couple days, he seems to be getting a better idea how to feed himself. Like you, we could not bear to kill him, and decided to give him the best possible life no matter how brief it might be....so long as he is not suffering, he's with us.
Wow chick looks very similar to ours. Cyclopes, sadly, is no longer with us. I was hand feeding and watering him. He would run to the edge of the box knowing it was that time. One day we went hiking and I came home and found him dead in the box. Not sure what happened, but it did and was possibly for the best. He would try and eat and drink and peak just like the rest, but I have a feeling he would have never made it much farther along in life. Good luck with the lil guy... and if he does pass, don't feel to bad. Nature taking over

How is cyclopes doing?
I am sorry to say he passed Sunday. Not sure what went wrong. I was hand feeding and watering him. So I feel this was nature taking over. All others are fine. I did keep my favorite 3 and sold the rest to my friend, so they went to a good home. I did notice the day before she picked them up that another amerucana chick was starting to get cross beak :( I told my friend that is she worked with her beak she may prevent furthure crossing.
I havent started up the incy because I am not willing to hatch from my own chickens due to the 2 roosters being amerucanas. But I cant get rid of them either. Good thing is I have multiple friends offering eggs

Back
Top Bottom