Questions for MF D’uccle / MF Cochin Breeders

Birdie2019

Songster
May 12, 2020
Florida
I have a pair of MF Cochin Bantams left, and know they need better flowering. They are 9-10 months old and my hen is getting a fuller cushion each and every day :love . However, I have a few photos as a guide and wrote an article for myself as sort of a rubric for myself and other MF Cochin breeders. I have a few questions about the color:
BA3A9637-6C04-46E7-BB14-1BBA0394B276.jpeg
{1} Should the rooster have those black streaks instead of “v” shaped black markings on the hackle feathers? Or is that a flaw in his color? (Pic from google) {2} Should hens also have the black tail feathers or is that just a D’uccle or flaw thing?
94B94CFD-48D1-421C-B0A8-375CFA9A2443.jpeg F9FA70BD-7ED6-440F-BFD8-48157CCD039C.jpeg chicken wings a couple of weeks ago

AFC495FC-A9C1-4E70-B7FA-81BF932D06E3.jpeg 81CD2679-2660-4EE2-8418-7A2156958449.jpeg
Same chicken wings today. The cock has flowering on his wings, while the hen does not. My old hen that passed away also had flowering on her wings. {3} Should all MFs have flowering on their wings?

also, it appears that the chicks are actively gaining flowering (see wing comparison). That is such good news!

Hey,
As far as I know the colour standard people were working towards in mfc in America was the d'uccle colour standard so I think he's on the black tail. There is debate here in Aus about the correct base colour, Wheaton buff or mahogany so we may not be the same as you guys. It's hard when the birds are changing the pattern so much! I also think flowering on all wings or at least every 3rd feather I think was the official line. Not sure on the hackles.

Hey,
As far as I know the colour standard people were working towards in mfc in America was the d'uccle colour standard so I think he's on the black tail. There is debate here in Aus about the correct base colour, Wheaton buff or mahogany so we may not be the same as you guys. It's hard when the birds are changing the pattern so much! I also think flowering on all wings or at least every 3rd feather I think was the official line. Not sure on the hackles.
I’m happy with the base color on these two, and I think I’m going for every third feather at least and every primary feather. My hen has started getting both the black and white in her feather tips, so I am aiming for that. I think I’m going to go for the black feathers in the male (like this picture from the old MF thread) with white tips, and avoid that with the females. I just think it better suits the roundness of the cushion. DE0A07AF-A67F-4A8C-9E7F-04B54B7AADD0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom