Questions for Teachers Doing Classroom Hatches

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I'm thinking of offering to sell hatching eggs to the teachers I know on Facebook and at church and I'd like to know if eggs from my flock are a good option for a positive classroom experience.

What do you usually pay for your eggs?

How many do you usually buy at a time?

Do you have a preference for any particular kind of eggs?

I help several schools with their incubation. Most of the time the teachers are paying out of pocket for the eggs. I
ask for $20 and set about 15-18 eggs. I make sure everything is set up properly and answer a few student questions at drop off. Kids love to see rainbow eggs and different sizes. My fav part is returning to candle eggs and give a presentation with a live chicken. Depending on the school, sometimes I’ll take the chicks back and sometimes they will have somebody on staff taking them. (It’s pretty important to have this worked out). It’s best not to have class chicks for more than a week. Once chicks become active and fly out of brooder it can be too messy

White eggs are best to candle. Most kids have never seen a blue egg or speckled egg. It’s more about the fun than the money. If I know im getting the chicks back, I may include more eggs from my breeding groups - so I can sell them easier.

I help several schools with their incubation. Most of the time the teachers are paying out of pocket for the eggs. I
ask for $20 and set about 15-18 eggs. I make sure everything is set up properly and answer a few student questions at drop off. Kids love to see rainbow eggs and different sizes. My fav part is returning to candle eggs and give a presentation with a live chicken. Depending on the school, sometimes I’ll take the chicks back and sometimes they will have somebody on staff taking them. (It’s pretty important to have this worked out). It’s best not to have class chicks for more than a week. Once chicks become active and fly out of brooder it can be too messy

White eggs are best to candle. Most kids have never seen a blue egg or speckled egg. It’s more about the fun than the money. If I know im getting the chicks back, I may include more eggs from my breeding groups - so I can sell them easier.

Thanks for the info.

I have one white layer and some that lay a paler tan/pink so those might be good for candling. It's probably worth reaching out to the teachers I'm in contact with.

I think it would be great for you to sell to local teachers. The hatcheries and other shipped eggs are expensive with low hatch rates. Win/win if you can provide eggs

Most of the time teachers want a good variety with a few that can be candled.

More fun: A few times I started turkey eggs a week earlier and then transported them via cooler to add to the school incubators. Every classroom was delighted to see those baby poults. I’ve also added quail eggs a few days later. (However quail are harder to care for so I recommend picking them up within 24 hours )

Last edited:
I'm a primary school teacher and I plan to do this as a project with my class in the spring. I plan to use eggs from my own hens, since I do have two roosters, and another teacher at my school with lots of hatching experience will help with the incubation etc. I'll bring the chicks home with me once they're a day or so old. It's a HUGE deal at school, everyone wants to come see, everyone wants to come and be a part of the new life :) The trick is to keep the noise down, the hands off before students are taught how to handle a chick, and then you end up with a class full of kids who want to be chicken-people when they grow up :) it's LOVELY!

I am not sure we have done this in our grade school since covid. As a newly elected school board member i will be asking about this at our next meeting. 🙂
Would it be possible to set up a camera on the incubator area sothat participating teachers can access as desired, like whenever candling occurs, and hatch?

I'm thinking of offering to sell hatching eggs to the teachers I know on Facebook and at church and I'd like to know if eggs from my flock are a good option for a positive classroom experience.

What do you usually pay for your eggs?

How many do you usually buy at a time?

Do you have a preference for any particular kind of eggs?
I'm not a teacher, but I did supply eggs this year. They were free, for FFA to start a flock. I chose the breeds I gave eggs from and the deal was that I took any extras back as payment.

Back
Top Bottom