Questions for Teachers Doing Classroom Hatches

In the US, I'd call your county extension office and chat with them. They may have or can get you equipment you can use for free. If they can't help you set up and advise on the incubation themselves they likely know someone who can and will. They can probably get you free eggs. If I remember one story on here correctly one extension office even had a suggested curriculum to teach the project.

That is very awesome! So, your son did this and is still in school? Wow! impressive young man. watch out world
Thanks He’s a smart cookie. He loves his chickens but his true passions are math and technology. He has already designed and coded his own original video games. Not bad for a 12 year old. He sees all kinds of math patterns and figured out multiplication at age 5. That’s when I knew he’d surpass me.

Thanks He’s a smart cookie. He loves his chickens but his true passions are math and technology. He has already designed and coded his own original video games. Not bad for a 12 year old. He sees all kinds of math patterns and figured out multiplication at age 5. That’s when I knew he’d surpass me.
❤️

I am a teacher who incubates eggs each year and it's my favorite thing to do! I keep chickens and have roosters so in the past I have used my eggs, but this year only have one rooster so I did a few of mine and bought more eggs from a local farmer. I think it's a great option for teachers to have locally sourced fertile eggs, but please be mindful of cost if teachers are your market. I paid $25 for a dozen simply because I wanted to add those specific pure breeds to my mostly mixed flock, but there is no way I would pay that for barnyard mixes. I bet if I asked local farmers on Facebook for fertile eggs for a classroom project they would gladly be given free (in fact, several people did offer free barnyard mix hatching eggs for this). Usually by this time of year there are no classroom funds left and everything comes out of the teacher's pocket to give the kids a great learning experience. There are costs for the incubator, distilled water, brooder tub, heater, chick feed, and feeders/waterers that make it a kind of expensive project, but one I'd never skip. So with that in mind, YES, what a great option to offer eggs to teachers for this, but please consider making it affordable for them by giving or selling the eggs near a cost that you'd sell a dozen for eating. ❤️

Last edited:
I am a teacher who incubates eggs each year and it's my favorite thing to do! I keep chickens and have roosters so in the past I have used my eggs, but this year only have one rooster so I did a few of mine and bought more eggs from a local farmer. I think it's a great option for teachers to have locally sourced fertile eggs, but please be mindful of cost if teachers are your market. I paid $25 for a dozen simply because I wanted to add those specific pure breeds to my mostly mixed flock, but there is no way I would pay that for barnyard mixes. I bet if I asked local farmers on Facebook for fertile eggs for a classroom project they would gladly be given free (in fact, several people did offer free barnyard mix hatching eggs for this). Usually by this time of year there are no classroom funds left and everything comes out of the teacher's pocket to give the kids a great learning experience. There are costs for the incubator, distilled water, brooder tub, heater, chick feed, and feeders/waterers that make it a kind of expensive project, but one I'd never skip. So with that in mind, YES, what a great option to offer eggs to teachers for this, but please consider making it affordable for them by giving or selling the eggs near a cost that you'd sell a dozen for eating. ❤️
I have donated egg to the school for incubation. I would feel right charging for them, especially not knowing if they are fertile.

My mother is a counselor and my siblings are hatching eggs in their class. I donated eggs from my flock. we live in a very rural county so most of the kids take chicks home. I love seeing the kids faces when they are playing with the chicks. I donate the eggs. I encourage everybody to do the same it is so magical for the kids and everybody deserves to experiance chickens at least once in there life.

Back
Top Bottom