Question! Teacher hatching chicks in the classroom...

laurenk16

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
I am a sixth-grade teacher hatching chicks in my classroom! Today is day 16. Saturday will be day 17, Sunday day 18, and Monday day 19. We were told by the 4H organizer to turn off the egg turner, increase humidity, and prepare for the hatch on day 17. I live further away and asked her if I could prepare for the hatch either at the end of the day today (day 16) or on Monday (day 19). She said to do it at the end of the day today. My question is, what do you all think? Should I just remove the egg turner today and increase humidity on Monday? Or do everything today or everything Monday? Thank you!!

What size eggs are they? Bantams usually hatch a day earlier than standards.

What size eggs are they? Bantams usually hatch a day earlier than standards.
I'm not sure? They told us there was a mixture of the following breeds: Buff Orpington, Americauna, Black and Red Sex Link, Cornish Rock, and White Leghorn.

Probably all standards then. Bantam eggs are usually much smaller than all the other eggs. I would stop turning on Monday.

Probably all standards then. Bantam eggs are usually much smaller than all the other eggs. I would stop turning on Monday.

I'd put them in lockdown tonight if you can. Are you counting day 1 as the day you set the eggs or the 24hrs after you set?
I was leaning toward tonight too...Day 0 is the day I put them in. They were put in around 3:00 pm on April 19...

The chicks push the eggs around when they hatch and if you stop turning they can get stuck to the shell which is why I said Monday. One or two days shouldn't make that much of a difference though.

The chicks push the eggs around when they hatch and if you stop turning they can get stuck to the shell which is why I said Monday. One or two days shouldn't make that much of a difference though.
Sticking to the shell usually happens in the early stages which is why turning is so important then. It's not very likely for them to get stuck at this age.

Back
Top Bottom