Questions on Ivermectin and Lice

Is it alright if the drop on the head gets on the feathers? Also, I couldn't find any pictures from Google of face and ear lice in peafowl. Would I be able to see these on my birds or are they smaller than chicken lice and hard to see?

If you look at the pic I just posted above there are three face lice drinking from just under the eye on the eyelid.

Wow, I'll check the almost-yearling peahens today and see if I can see anything on them. They're friendly enough to let me be rather intrusive.

If a mature peafowl gets .50ml would a mature turkey get about 1ml or more depending on the size of the tom?

Wow, I'll check the almost-yearling peahens today and see if I can see anything on them. They're friendly enough to let me be rather intrusive.

If a mature peafowl gets .50ml would a mature turkey get about 1ml or more depending on the size of the tom?

What breed of tom? Approximate weight?

I'll weigh him today. He's a bourbon red. All my turkeys are heritage. I'll weigh hens too but I'll bet they weigh between 10 and 12 lbs.

I'll weigh him today. He's a bourbon red. All my turkeys are heritage. I'll weigh hens too but I'll bet they weigh between 10 and 12 lbs.

10-12 pounds is about what a medium size mature peacock weighs.

Mature peacock - 8.8 pounds to 13.2 pounds (4 kg to 6 kg).
Mature peahen - 6.6 pounds to 8.8 pounds (3 kg to 4 kg).

I think if you do the math you'll see that the amount KsKingBee uses is between 0.045 ml per pound and 0.09 ml per pound, which is the amount I have seen referenced by pigeon breeders.

Edited to fix math typo!

Last edited:
I was talking about the hen turkeys. But I've never been good at estimating measurements either.

Do you think I should try and use the permethrin spray on the archangel pigeon too? I didn't think he could get poultry lice but now I'm wondering.

Back
Top Bottom