chicksonline

Songster
Mar 14, 2017
I have read a few facts on chicks and there sexing and growing ways I was just wondering if these are true or not!
1) female chicks feather more quickly
2) females have rounded feathers round there necks whilst the males have pointed ones
3) rounded eggs = females
Pointed = males
4) males grow there combs quicker
5) female combs flop over whilst male ones stay “erect”
If all of these are true apart from the comb developing one then I have 4 females and one male but all the ones with rounded neck feathers and feather more quickly with flopped combs have got larger combs than the one that feathered slower has very small comb and pointed neck feathers!
Any tips on how to sex them as they are 11 weeks old now. I have been comparing them to the growth of the cream legbars chicks I brought and our roo has just started to crow and has got pointed neck feathers and took longer to get feathers and has a smaller comb than his female friends.
But crossbreads (light Sussex x green egg layers) can probs be totally different
Any tips on sexing would be appreciated!

1 no truth to this
2 true if old enough. The males have pointed hackle feathers which females don't get but they don't grow in on the males until they're half grown or so.
3 ridiculously false
4 true for the most part. Depends on the breed. A large comb breed females comb could outgrown a smaller comb breed male.
5 not really true. I raise leghorns and females usually have flopped combs while males don't but I've seen far more females of most breeds that combs never flop. Also have seen several roosters with flopped combs.

Post a few pics of the birds.
1.) generally yes pullets feather in quicker.
2.) older juveniles you will notice this after the juvenile molt.
3.) not true from what I’ve noticed.
4.) cockrels combs develop faster (large and red) although with some birds the females comb grows large but doesn’t redden as chicks.
5.) not always true. I only have a few females with heavy combs that flop over. The rest are up.

0003F243-9263-403A-9C4E-6F3380B27A10.jpeg
AB23BD4E-D4BF-4857-86EF-7638A86895B7.jpeg
Post a few pics of the birds.
1.) generally yes pullets feather in quicker.
2.) older juveniles you will notice this after the juvenile molt.
3.) not true from what I’ve noticed.
4.) cockrels combs develop faster (large and red) although with some birds the females comb grows large but doesn’t redden as chicks.
5.) not always true. I only have a few females with heavy combs that flop over. The rest are up.
These are the only two I have atm I’m afraid

1 no truth to this
2 true if old enough. The males have pointed hackle feathers which females don't get but they don't grow in on the males until they're half grown or so.
3 ridiculously false
4 true for the most part. Depends on the breed. A large comb breed females comb could outgrown a smaller comb breed male.
5 not really true. I raise leghorns and females usually have flopped combs while males don't but I've seen far more females of most breeds that combs never flop. Also have seen several roosters with flopped combs.
Couldn't agree more.

Looking like you have cockerels for the moment. :)

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom