Questions/ soft shelled egg

Chocdish

Chirping
Jun 9, 2023
Hey so I was wondering wether or not you can tell the difference between an individual chickens egg?? We have 3 amberlinks who just started laying and I can visibly tell that there are three different looking eggs. I am a new chicken owner and do not know much about egg laying.

Also one of the hens laid a soft shell egg. I believe it was her second egg but everything that I am reading says it's normal for them to be soft shelled at first? She did not lay it in the nesting box she laid it outside of the coop.

I would start worrying if you see more than one in a months time. Also, you can get some calcium citrate with D3 to have on hand, and make sure they have some oyster shell that they'll eat. Those will help prevent issues in the future.

Hey so I was wondering wether or not you can tell the difference between an individual chickens egg?? We have 3 amberlinks who just started laying and I can visibly tell that there are three different looking eggs.
I can tell who has laid what for my entire flock, except for my two blue egg layers. You can go by color, shape, spotting, etc.
Also one of the hens laid a soft shell egg. I believe it was her second egg but everything that I am reading says it's normal for them to be soft shelled at first? She did not lay it in the nesting box she laid it outside of the coop.
Soft shelled eggs or other glitchy eggs aren't unusual at the start. For now I wouldn't worry about it. Do make sure they have a source of calcium to pick from (oyster shell, egg shell) even if they're on layer feed.

I would start worrying if you see more than one in a months time. Also, you can get some calcium citrate with D3 to have on hand, and make sure they have some oyster shell that they'll eat. Those will help prevent issues in the future.
I have 4 three year old hens and 5 16 week old pullets. I have been getting 1 or 2 eggs a day for awhile now- I figure winter slow down. They get fed all flock pellets and treated with sprouts, BOSS, black beans and veggie table scraps. They have grit and oyster shell available. I found a soft shell egg in the nesting box. Could it be from a pullet? The hen eggs are nice and hard- so what’s up??

Back
Top Bottom