Queston about roos, crowing and aggressiveness

blessedmamato3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Our roo is 5 months and doesn't seem to be aggressive, but he does seem to guard the girls. When we're around him, he'll look at us and maybe stand tall, but hasn't made any moves. He will run to me for food and seems pretty sociable, but a bit guarded. Could he turn aggressive as he gets older or should his temperament be pretty set by now? I have small kids, so I'm really careful. If he's doing to suddenly get aggressive, it would be good to know in advance LOL.

What is the point of crowing? Ours seems to crow randomly, but thankfully not all the time.

It sounds like he is doing good so far. When mine come near me for food I'll randomly touch/grab their backs/tails. They scoot away fast and learn that I'm dominant and to stay out of my way. Keep them on their toes around me.

Honestly....mine crow because they can. LOL

Mine crow just because too. But if he's known you awhile I don't think he'll be aggressive, at least towards you. I'd be careful with the kids though. The proving to them that your dominant really helps, so just in case I'd start doing that.

My 4 month roo is starting to guard his hens. Everytime I try to pick them up, he comes right over to say "she's mine" stay away. I do my best to maintain my status a head chicken Mama by not backing down (even when sitting in the grass holding the pullets. The biggest roo climbed on a branch and started crowing at me, so I stood up and he walked away. Today, my dogs were having fun in the yard and about 15 chickens went running right toward them. As the dog was rolling around in the grass, they surrounded her..then she took off running (she's a spaz) and all the chickens ran different directions and the roos crowed for about 2 minutes. It was the funniest thing, wish I had a camera!

Not set at all. He could still turn aggressive. A rooster I had (HAD being the operative word here) didn't turn aggressive until he was a year old. He then challenged me every time I entered the run. Flogged me to the point of a soft ball sized bruise because he broke my blood vessel in my leg. I tried everything with him to reform him, and nothing worked. He never attacked my kids or my DH, only me. I finally got tired of having to watch my back all the time and he's gone now.

If he's wing dancing you now, nip it in the bud before it escalates. (and it will if he's challenging you now) Establish yourself as the dominant rooster now while you can. (and even then there's no guarantee you wont still have a butthead like mine)

Make sure they yield to you, not you yield to them. A bit of fear of the big human is good IMO.

My wellie and barnevelder roosters are the perfect gentlemen. They protect the hens AND respect my position as top rooster.

I have a rooster and would love for him to disappear. He is a bantam amongst standards which is hilarious. Napoleon syndrome I swear. He attacks anyone coming by little jerk and he is only7 months

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Napoleon

LOL!!! I find posts about roos really funny.

I have a rooster and would love for him to disappear. He is a bantam amongst standards which is hilarious. Napoleon syndrome I swear. He attacks anyone coming by little jerk and he is only7 months

ROFL!!!

He could still turn aggressive. A rooster I had (HAD being the operative word here)

Y'all need to stop it, LOL here!

Ok, so basically, he's a loose canon. Got it. I'll watch him closely. I have killed a rooster in cold blood before and I'm not afraid to do it again
big_smile.png
Those darn things can really be obnoxious. I hope this one ends up ok, as I really get a kick out of watching him. Now I know where the expression "cock of the walk" comes from hehe.​

Back
Top Bottom