quick question about night temps for month-old chicks

gadus

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2015
Maine
Tried to find the "Maine" forum but gave up and am just going to ask here. I've got birds who are a month plus. They've been inside and I want to put them in the outside brooder without heat as soon as is safe. So with nighttime temps still in the 40s and 50s, I'm guessing it's too early for that? At what age will they tolerate lower night temps? By June all nights should be in the low 50s. Thank you.

I'm no expert but mine are roughly 8 weeks old and they're in the coop. They're completely weaned off of heat and at night it gets to around mid-forties. However it also depends on the amount of insulation in your coop. For example mine has tons of insulation so it probably doesn't get that cold. As long as they're weaned off of heat and you have a decent amount of insulation I think it's fine. Again though, I'm no expert this is just what I've found

My hunch is, it's a bit early, particularly as I have an uninsulated brooder. In the "chick care" section of the hatchery site, they say basically stop heating (after reducing five degrees per week) when it's 70s so 40s at night would be pushing it. I have kept an incandescent above their (rabbit) cage until now, as I've got some younger birds in a separate cage which need the heat still. Although they seem plenty tough, I'm not about to risk it. Thanks.

I wean chicks off heat at around 4 weeks. It's usually around the 50s at night by that point. They're perfectly fine as long as you've gradually reduced the temperatures to harden them before putting them out.

If they have most of their feathers they should be fine but a week can make a huge difference in both their capability to handle outdoors and the temperatures outside. I'd try to wait until 5 weeks if possible.

^ what they said.
I had a long response all typed up and ready to go until I realized that you are located a lot further north than I am.

Thanks to all for input. This may be switching up a bit but I thought I'd ask if the others are also continuing with any kind of lighting after the heat is finished? Or are they in the dark from then on (until they get to laying age, that is)? Thanks, again.

Thanks to all for input. This may be switching up a bit but I thought I'd ask if the others are also continuing with any kind of lighting after the heat is finished? Or are they in the dark from then on (until they get to laying age, that is)? Thanks, again.

Mine are in the dark at night from the day I get them, as I use a heat pad outside rather than a heat lamp. So they get natural day/night from the very start. Makes for quiet chicks at night. I also choose to not supplement light in winter.

Back
Top Bottom