Quick Question about Olive Egger chicks?

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Ok, so i hatched out 3 Olive Egger chicks on March first. So they would be two weeks old Friday.

Would this chick be considered sex linked with the white spot on its head?

Ive read elsewhere no, but im just curious.
received_2223402594690123.jpeg
20240313_090454.jpg

20240313_090445.jpg

The headspot just means the chick will be barred. If the mother was barred and the father was not, the chick is a cockerel. If it's the other way around or both parents were barred, there's no way to tell gender until it's older.

Ok thanks !
I was just checking because i know that some breeds are sex linked by the white dot on their heads.
I figured id still have to wait until 7 to 8 weeks.
You're welcome! Six weeks is the typical minimum of when you start to tell which gender they are. Although, you can sex them at a much younger age-it all depends on how fast they grow. One of my chicks was a visible cockerel at about two weeks old.

You're welcome! Six weeks is the typical minimum of when you start to tell which gender they are. Although, you can sex them at a much younger age-it all depends on how fast they grow. One of my chicks was a visible cockerel at about two weeks old.
From my last batch my Maran started crowing at 2 weeks. Not the best crow though😂.
I was able to keep him for a few weeks then after rehoming him, another one started and then all but one ended up being cockerels.

Im taking guesses by combs right now.
and one of the OE has gold coming in already

So cute! Fingers crossed for you for pullets!

We got four "pullets" and I'm afraid one may be a roo lol I keep calling her HER! 🤣 Lol

Attachments

• PXL_20240310_132233021.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240310_132233021.MP.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom