Quick question

yelkenli

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2016
We are into the hatching portion. we stopped turning the eggs at the end of day 18. bumped up the humidity from ~35 to 60%.

I see some breaks in the shells, though not much. I can hear the birds, and sometimes see the eggs move.
This all started last night.
Should they be making faster progress getting out of the shells?

Any recommendations appreciated.

We are into the hatching portion. we stopped turning the eggs at the end of day 18. bumped up the humidity from ~35 to 60%.

I see some breaks in the shells, though not much. I can hear the birds, and sometimes see the eggs move.
This all started last night.
Should they be making faster progress getting out of the shells?

Any recommendations appreciated.

We do not know what day you are on??

It's normal for a chick to take up to 24 hours to start zipping from the time they externally pip :)

OK. Day 20&1/2. One of them did come out and is chirping away. The chick has some string tethering it to the egg shell. Let me know know if this looks healthy.

Two other eggs have small cracks, but not much movement. One that was very active earlier, does not have any cracks, but did show some movement. Two others are showing nothing, but candling shows something is/was inside.

And is it ok if 'first out' bumps the other eggs around?

Some do not want that, some do not worry about it. I run a pool hall for some time and when I had the incubators in the house---the eggs would hit so hard I would say '8 ball in the corner pocket' lol-------all I can say is it has never hurt my hatch---because I have real high hatch rates.

Last edited:
A second hatched, looks like about 8 hours after the first. The second looks very similar to the first.

No activity apparent on the others yet.

When is the latest we can put water and food in the incubator? there are still several eggs unhatched, and we don't want to take the chicks out.

the chicks can survive up to 3 days without food and water, they absorb the yolk so they don't have to eat or drink during that time. Putting food and water in the incubator is not necessary and adding a waterer in the incubator would probably spike the humidity

When is the latest we can put water and food in the incubator? there are still several eggs unhatched, and we don't want to take the chicks out.
As said No food or water in the incubator is needed.

the chicks can survive up to 3 days without food and water,
I just wanted to clarify this----Chicks can stay in the incubator for 3 days With No Problem at all, but as far as survive----they can survive days in the incubator without food or water---but after 3 days they start getting hungry and thirsty so staying in there longer than 3 days will start effect them some. I found one in the bottom of my cabinet incubator 11 days after it hatched(long story)---still alive, but hungry and thirsty and noticeable smaller than its siblings .

Back
Top Bottom