"Quiet" Rooster Breeds

15littlem

Songster
Feb 3, 2012
I have a bit of a delima. My parents won't let me get a rooster, because of noise. I have been searching all over BYC, looking for info on this topic. What I have found, is that certain large breeds have lower pitched "voices" than others. If you guys can help me find these breeds, I would be SOOO grateful to all of you. Any help is wanted!!

I think it's a shame that we have to feel like we are pressured to give people eggs (bribe/tax) to our neighbors if we want to have hens. I am trying to feed my family here with our eggs. It's not my responsibility to share my food with the neighbors. I don't ever recall a time when they have ever shared their groceries with me. The real problem is that when you give them a few gifts here & there of your eggs, they start to expect it. If you stop giving them eggs (as I have, because I started selling them) then they start to act different toward you. If they want eggs, why don't they get some chickens of their own. Well, at least that is how it is with my neighbors. They expect me to hand over my garden bounty & eggs just like that simply because we share the same neighborhood. it's ridiculous, I think. Just whatever you do, don't allow them to get to cozy & start expecting things from you, let them know that these are "gifts."

Yes, larger breeds have deeper voices, but they also have much louder voices than smaller and bantam breeds. Smaller/bantam breeds are somewhat quieter (smaller diaphragm and lung capacity for one), but also have higher pitched voices that may seem to carry better.

All of that is pretty much irrelevant, though, because roosters crow and they all crow just as loud as they can whenever they happen to feel like it. There is no such thing as a quiet breed. No crowing = no rooster.

I just found this on ebay - wow these eggs are expensive!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-Rare-Swedish-Flower-Hen-6-hatching-eggs-/190534764317

Personally I have fallen in love with silver laced wyandottes and have 3 bantam eggs in the incubator now.

I too cannot have a rooster as although I live in a rural area, there are neighbours within a few feet of my house and it just would break my heart if I had to get rid of my chickens because they complained. I figure that if they complained about 1 noisy one, then I would be made to get rid of all of them, so I keep my head down and offer them free eggs so they don't complain about the noise and smell (and I don't keep any roosters!)

I have given eggs a few times.Fruit too.Most times I sell eggs.Don't eat them much,so I might as well sell. Sometimes I feel bad about my rooster crowing all the time,but I don't feel the need to apologise or bribe anyone.No one says sorry about their dog,music,or atvs.Sometimes we have to just tolerate one another.

My guy started out pretty quite.There are days where he still is,but other days where he won't shut up at all. I don't know what he is,but he is the absolute sweetest rooster I was lucky to get free off craigs last year. I keep saying I will get rid of him,but if it came down to it I would make him a house chicken if I had too instead of getting rid of him(if the city came knocking).

Last edited:
I think it's a shame that we have to feel like we are pressured to give people eggs (bribe/tax) to our neighbors if we want to have hens. I am trying to feed my family here with our eggs. It's not my responsibility to share my food with the neighbors. I don't ever recall a time when they have ever shared their groceries with me. The real problem is that when you give them a few gifts here & there of your eggs, they start to expect it. If you stop giving them eggs (as I have, because I started selling them) then they start to act different toward you. If they want eggs, why don't they get some chickens of their own. Well, at least that is how it is with my neighbors. They expect me to hand over my garden bounty & eggs just like that simply because we share the same neighborhood. it's ridiculous, I think. Just whatever you do, don't allow them to get to cozy & start expecting things from you, let them know that these are "gifts."

You make good points there. The thing is, you don't have to feel any such thing. I know it can be tough not to, but I guess it comes down to the fact that "I want something that I need you to give me some leniency for, what can I offer you in return?" in an effort to keep relations agreeable.

We give eggs to our one neighbor when she needs them, but that's because she's a single mom who financially tight as it is and she house/pet/chicken-sits for us when we're away and we'll do the same for her. So we're close and we do our best to look out for each other. If we don't have eggs when she's getting low, we tell her so (and sometimes we do sell some eggs), but she's absolutely fine with it. It just depends, but you're right, don't invite beggars.

Honestly, I don’t get it... this discussion is about which breeds crow higher and with biggest frequency, nothing else right? So why discuss everything else?

So, I’m gonna give the answer that most people should have already gave you, I actually don’t known.

So I went and Google: “different breeds of rooster crowing”... I found a feel videos on YouTube with large compilations of different breeds crowing, just like:

Videos by Robert Hock

Sounds like a good idea to do even a deeper search to check if you can discover more about any specific breeds.

Anyone interested should check it out, I’m a hundred percent sure, different breeds crow with different frequencies, pitch’s and volumes so it’s good to choose wisely.

Of course, those and other videos are just a sort of guideline and a rooster will crow, but some breeds will for sure be extra louder when compared to others.

I have a Barnevelder that is 20 times more annoying than my Orpington, breeds do make difference just as they do with dogs, nobody can compare the annoyance of a Chihuahua barking to a quieter breed.

Good luck 👍🏼

Last edited:
Seramas, especially small class A's (serama come in A, B, and C weight classes, A being smallest) rarely crow and when they do their crows are 1/3 or less of the volume of the average large fowl cock. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I also forgot to mention in the original question that I would be willing to sacrifice volume for frequency of crowing.

Back
Top Bottom