Quilter's fabric and pattern helps

Thanks Nanakat!
smile.png

I like the log cabin tutorial. It makes it look somewhat easy. Thanks The first sight>Thousands of bolts just one nut is nice. I was able to pick some fabric and design some blocks. How nice to see how they go together. It really helps for a newbe because the blocks really dont look so good with what I thought they would in my minds eye. Then I was able to switch the fabric around and see what went together better. Very nice. Now I have a little better idea of what I am aming for. It is much quicker than drawing and it actually puts the real fabric in the block. I found a lot of the fabric I liked didnt go with the block at all. Very interesting. 3 of my fabrics have been sold out. Wawhh LOL

Does everyone use a triangle to square their blocks? Where can you get one? I dont see buying one at a fabric store when I believe I could get one a lot cheaper elsewhere.

I actually use a square template to square my blocks. I have several sizes. You can always get them on sale somewhere - they're too expensive otherwise.

I always recommend the Log Cabin to beginners - it's hard to get it wrong. Use the Quilt-in-a-Day book. It's the easiest one I've seen. But I use regular cotton batting, not the fluffy stuff she uses, and then I quilt it while she ties her quilts. Definitely adds more than "a day" to the quilt, but it's my personal preference. My mom likes the fluffy-and-tied look.

Another thing that can help when deciding on fabric is too go with "families" of fabrics - those that were created to match each other. You can get these in Jelly Rolls, which are the perfect size strips for a Log Cabin. Separate the strips into light and dark, and go from there. It's hard to get over getting all tense about choosing the perfect fabrics, so if it's a really special quilt, just ask for the opinions of the people at the store - even the customers. That never fails for me.

Another good beginner quilt is the "Yellow Brick Road" pattern. Although it may seem confusing, if you read the directions carefully and follow them step-by-step, you can't get that one wrong either, unless your seams are bad. But there's no matching, no tricky triangles, etc., and it always looks great when it's done. I used a color family for that, and it was great.

Thanks mame
big_smile.png
very sound advice!!! Are youtalking about the rolls of fabric for around $10? They are colr coordinated?

I tried a pinwheel block and realised the error of my ways LOL Lucky I hadnt planned a quilt with those.

Pinwheels can be tricky if you don't have the points and the triangles just right. My first was a disaster!

I don't know how much they are, but they are the rolls of 2 1/2" strips that you see in the fabric shops. They are generally coordinated, although that's not 100%. It will say on the label, or you certainly can order them online where you can see a description.

For an easy pinwheel:
Try this with an 8 inch square and then measure the finished pinwheel. You will then see how the process works and will then know the final size of your pinwheel based on your width of seaming.

Cut a square of light fabric and a square of dark fabric the same size. I use a matt board, straigth edge and my rotary cutter
Align them right sides together and then sew your 1/4 inch seam along all four sides. (1)
Now, on a cutting mat, use your rotary cutter to divide the square into triangles cutting diagonally from corner to corner. (2)
Press with the seam towards the darker color.
Arrange the four 1/2 triangle squares into the pin wheel and sew together. (3)

A mixed color pinwheel can also be made making several sets.

Last edited:
Nana, my problem seems to happen with the borders or other pieces around the actual pinwheel. I get the four half-square triangles together ok, but no matter what I do, I always have some pieces where the line does not end up in the exact corner when I move on. Of course, I don't notice it until the quilt is basted, and the worst block is front and center!

Nana, my problem seems to happen with the borders or other pieces around the actual pinwheel. I get the four half-square triangles together ok, but no matter what I do, I always have some pieces where the line does not end up in the exact corner when I move on. Of course, I don't notice it until the quilt is basted, and the worst block is front and center!

Could you post a picture of one of your problem block?
It would help to problem solve.....
When I make pinwheels, I press and then trim them to size using a ruler with a diagonal cross. I find that precision triming on the edges helps make the borders line up more closely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom