Quilters-- Scrappy quilt question

schmmems

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2009
Central Florida
I am considering doing a scrappy quilt with a theme of flower prints. I've never done a scrappy quilt before, I've always used the color wheel and had a set parameter for my fabrics. My question is, can I use any flower print without looking at the colors? Is that what scrappy is? How do I get past my color wheel? Any pics of scrappy quilts?

Haha..I can relate..I have made several scrap quilts..drunkards path and 4 patch..both ended up being color coordinated. I started an Apple Core by just picking up a piece and sewing, paying no attention to the color..did not like it at all. My next attempt is going to be a double wedding ring..but the corners will all be the same..sigh.
I recently saw a quilt in one of the magazines that was 8 in. floral squares sewn together with black striping..still had a planned look..

btw..where in Florida are you located?..I'm originally from Gainesville, having lived in Newberry, Rochelle, and Lake Butler. Currently in process of getting moved back..probably around Live Oak/Mayo area.

Have you ever been to the quilt shop in Trenton....oh my!!!!!

46334_dscf4144.jpg

These were some of the fabrics that I was thinking of using. Does it clash too much?

This is the pattern I was thinking of using. (Long leg star with long leg sashing)

46334_dscf4146.jpg

I'm a little more south than that, right between Orlando and Gainesville. Funny you should mention the Trenton shop, someone just was telling me about it yesterday! I went to UF, so I know the G-ville area. Lived there for 5 years, while I got my BS and MS. We love the Big Bend area, would love to someday get some land in Mayo or Live Oak. We are going to Cedar Key for our break...
smile.png

I think they will work well together if you use one color..maybe a green.. to pull them together..which is kind of a planned scrap..in the second pic, it seems that the blue pulls it all together..sure do like that one btw!!

Yep..love Cedar Key, my inlaws used to have a place at Suwannee Shores.

For me I find that if I follow two rules when doing scrappy quilts, they come out fine:

Use a light neutral color for background - doesn't have to be a solid, can be a light color with tiny print on it. it helps balance the other colors used.

If I need scraps that are light, medium and dark in value I sort them out that way first and as I eye-ball them, anything thats not defined enough in one of those catagory's goes in the "whatever" scrap bag for something else.

Another hint - if you want to do scrappy quilts and don't have a scrap collection built up already, go to the Quiltville.com site - Bonnie is the master of scrap quilts and there are great tutorials for saving scraps, etc.

Looking at the fabrics that I have picked, I was going to make the middle fabric (yellow with green vines/flowers) the background. Is the print on the left too similar? Should I stay with bolder, larger prints? Sorry to ask so many questions, but my husband is tried of hearing them!

I agree with Cynthia..Speckledhen..I really like working with the tone on tones for background colors. I also think as long as you have light, medium, and dark prints you will be o.k...looking back at your fabrics I think they are fine..maybe add another dark.....kinda getting away from the scrap look though..??..I know I over think my quilts sometimes. I have noticed that I usually try to stick in a yellow or purple..???

Back
Top Bottom