Rabbit breeder's thread!

Hi everyone! I currently raise pure bred standard rex and "mutt" bunnies, but next Friday I am getting my first trio of Beverens! They'll only be about 8wks old, so it'll be awhile before I can breed them, but I am soooo excited!

new to bunnies, got my first today (as an adult anyway.. ..) a female Mini rex mix, 7 weeks old. I'm worried she isn't drinking water. its in the high 80's so she needs to stay hydrated. are there any tricks to get them to drink?
U could freeze carrot pieces which she can eat and it will give her water or use a crock

Okay I don't know if this is the right place but since y'all are rabbit breeders I figured I'd ask!

My friend's rabbit was pregnant. Today it had one baby. It didn't feed it at all. 7 hours after it had the baby, it literally just keeled over and died. She's had litters before, and been fine. She's only a few years old. She's a healthy holland lop.

Why do you think this happened? How should they care for the single baby?

Last edited:
Okay I don't know if this is the right place but since y'all are rabbit breeders I figured I'd ask!

My friend's rabbit was pregnant. Today it had one baby. It didn't feed it at all. 7 hours after it had the baby, it literally just keeled over and died. She's had litters before, and been fine. She's only a few years old. She's a healthy holland lop.

Why do you think this happened? How should they care for the single baby?
She had more babies in her that died and they disintegrated and the toxins got in her blood stream and killed her

Stuck kits can happen to any rabbit, even if they've had normal litters before. Unfortunately, it's one of the risks you take when choosing to breed a rabbit. Tell your friend I'm sorry for her loss.
hugs.gif

Thanks for the help. I felt so bad. She was over my house and her mom called and told her that it died. She was just balling. I know how it feels. And to have it just have a baby and then it bein left to not being taken care of, she's scared because she knows that even if they try the baby may not make it. And she has two sibling who are 10 and 8. They're probably just as crushed as she is. She was like a dog. She'd hop around the house and go on a leash for walks around the yard.

Hi, folks! I breed meat rabbits in Ohio. I have a rex and four NZWs. :3 One of those four is growing out to be a replacement breeder.

I'm hoping to find some Satin rabbits at some point to breed. If they have any of the growth NZWs have they might be just the bunnies I'm looking for. But I might just stick with NZ's and the occasional cross breed. Since I'm breeding mostly for meat, carcass and growth weights are very important to me.

I've been at this for a while and pretty successful. A lot of my does end up in 4H programs or going to other people for private backyard meat production. A lot of people want them as a small-space alternative to grocery meats.

Right now I am still growing out my replacement breeder but she's right around breeding age and so I'll be breeding her soon. I think she's a pretty good looking bunny but I'd love other people's opinion on her form? She's a good balance between the rabbits I have (buck has too thick of a head, doe has a low back, I'm hoping they even out a little). I'm not breeding for show but it'd be fun to show at some point in the future.

I am having a young NZ white join our family I rescued a stray this Spring but she proffered to be stray as she escaped and took to the woods
I have a question I reside in Anchorage Alaska and have a backyard flock with a coop and an aviary I prefer to have the rabbit with them NOT in the coop but share the aviary Everyone knows bunny prefer hay and live naturally in holes Is a hay bale structure feasible I would like opinions on the pros and cons The aviary is roofed to keep out wet weather and I work at home and give fresh water every few hours

Back
Top Bottom