rabbit does failing to carry

This advice is worth every penny you are paying for it but if I were you, I would replace all the rabbits and start over. If you can find a successful breeder of New Zealands in your neck of the woods that would be a good place to start. Maybe get two junior bucks, one junior doe, and one bred senior doe. Have the breeder select them for you because he/she would know which rabbits are likely to nick well with each other. That is what I would do if I were starting out. In fact that is exactly what I planned to do. I was interested in getting some Florida Whites. I found a breeder a couple hours away but before I got very far along with my project COVID hit and I haven't been going anywhere I don't absolutely have to. If you don't want to do that, as others have said, get another buck and see what happens.

This advice is worth every penny you are paying for it but if I were you, I would replace all the rabbits and start over. If you can find a successful breeder of New Zealands in your neck of the woods that would be a good place to start. Maybe get two junior bucks, one junior doe, and one bred senior doe. Have the breeder select them for you because he/she would know which rabbits are likely to nick well with each other. That is what I would do if I were starting out. In fact that is exactly what I planned to do. I was interested in getting some Florida Whites. I found a breeder a couple hours away but before I got very far along with my project COVID hit and I haven't been going anywhere I don't absolutely have to. If you don't want to do that, as others have said, get another buck and see what happens.
yeah i am thinking of replacing him but he was rather expensive (50$) and he is a real good looking buck. i want to be sure it is him before i do anything too drastic.

Just curious, are you sure the male has both his.... things? We had a male that was born with one and he hardly showed interest in the gals. That could be part of the problem and it may mean he has other issues causing the low birth rates

This sounds like a lot of trouble shooting. It does sound like it's a buck problem or environmental.

I would check buck over for health issues. Esp. reproductive like split penis.
I would check for environmental conditions. Fecal floats if you can, check ears and eyes and feet and vulvas. Check hutch/cage mats and examine for potentially toxic chewing. Check weight and general condition. etcetc.
I would make sure you're not accidentally palpating their intestines because that is an easy mistake to make and personally I'm garbage at palpating.
Try "flushing" the doe by giving her some high calorie snacks with her usual ration, like 1tbsp sunflower seeds per day.
Try breeding by taking the doe out after the initial fall. Then put her back in the next day to breed again.

After that you're gonna need to look at bigger solutions like replacing rabbits or a vet (expensive).

This sounds like a lot of trouble shooting. It does sound like it's a buck problem or environmental.

I would check buck over for health issues. Esp. reproductive like split penis.
I would check for environmental conditions. Fecal floats if you can, check ears and eyes and feet and vulvas. Check hutch/cage mats and examine for potentially toxic chewing. Check weight and general condition. etcetc.
I would make sure you're not accidentally palpating their intestines because that is an easy mistake to make and personally I'm garbage at palpating.
Try "flushing" the doe by giving her some high calorie snacks with her usual ration, like 1tbsp sunflower seeds per day.
Try breeding by taking the doe out after the initial fall. Then put her back in the next day to breed again.

After that you're gonna need to look at bigger solutions like replacing rabbits or a vet (expensive).
okay, I have checked thier "parts" a couple of times and all seems normal (buck is fully intact, no split)
Just curious, are you sure the male has both his.... things? We had a male that was born with one and he hardly showed interest in the gals. That could be part of the problem and it may mean he has other issues causing the low birth rates

. when i palpitate i usually feel several circles bigger than grapes (and i have/ am usually pretty good at it) but i will 100% try those other methods! thanks!

yeah i am thinking of replacing him but he was rather expensive (50$) and he is a real good looking buck. i want to be sure it is him before i do anything too drastic.
Just a comment. I have raised livestock for years. I have found that it doesn't matter how much you have paid for an animal, if it cannot do what it is supposed to do it is useless. That said, if I were you I would do two things. One, I would turn that buck upside down and get a good look and feel at his equipment. Does he have both testicles? Do they feel plump and full? Two, I would acquire a second buck. You should probably have more than one anyway. Try him out. If your problems go away then you will have your answer. If they don't, bite the bullet and start over. Breeding rabbits shouldn't be that hard.

Just a comment. I have raised livestock for years. I have found that it doesn't matter how much you have paid for an animal, if it cannot do what it is supposed to do it is useless. That said, if I were you I would do two things. One, I would turn that buck upside down and get a good look and feel at his equipment. Does he have both testicles? Do they feel plump and full? Two, I would acquire a second buck. You should probably have more than one anyway. Try him out. If your problems go away then you will have your answer. If they don't, bite the bullet and start over. Breeding rabbits shouldn't be that hard.
he has both and they seem normal, i think your right. i am going to look into a new buck.

Back
Top Bottom