Rabbit Genetic Puzzles!!!

Apr 16, 2018
Missouri
I have a small herd of meat mutt rabbits that I have accumulated to provide my family with meat and myself with pelts for sewing and craft projects. They are quite a colorful lot! Now, I know horse, cattle, and Icelandic sheep color genetics backwards, forwards, up and down... But I'm still working on learning rabbits. I'm hoping maybe there are a few of you here who love breaking down code on rabbits as much as I do for horses who would have fun puzzling some of it out, and perhaps I might be able to learn a thing or two in the process.

Here's what I have:

Hosta - doe - 7 1/2 month Blue Flemish x Broken Black NZ. (14.2 lbs!!!) aaB_C_ddE_
KIMG0172.jpg

Brownie - doe - 6 1/2 months Broken Black NZ X REW NZ
I inquired about her last night and it was suggested that she was probably a gold tipped black. She is a litter mate to Roanie, below.
A_B_C_D_Es_
KIMG0168.jpg

Roanie - Doe - 6 1/2 months Broken Black NZ X REW NZ. She is a litter mate to Brownie, above. I suspect she is also A_B_C_D_Es_, but broken.
KIMG0169.jpg

Wendy - 2 1/2 years old - Flemish Giant
A_B_C_D_E_
KIMG0163.jpg

Munchkin - 1 1/2 years old - French Angora X mini lop (my niece's pet) I suspect she is aabbC_ddEe (I'll post pics of her current litter in a bit.)
KIMG0160.jpg

Posey - 2 years old - Flemish/REW NZ X French Lop/broken Red NZ.
A_ _ _ _ _ _ _Ee I'll post pics of her litter in a bit.

Coco - 2 years old - Rex/Satin X Rex/Satin at_BbC_DdE_ I'll post pics of her litter in a little bit.
KIMG0176.jpg

Helena - 11 months old - Rex -
aaB_C_D_E_
KIMG0177.jpg

Zelda - 3 years old - Rex/Flemish X Rex/Satin. Mother to my buck, Barry.
AaBbC_Ddej_
KIMG0195.jpg

Ok, now onto the bucks!

Peter - 5 years old - French Lop X broken Red NZ. (My sweet teddy bear) I'll post pictures of his litters with Posey and Munchkin in a bit. A_B_C_Ddee
KIMG0166.jpg

Roscoe - 1 1/2 years old - Rex/Satin X Rex-Satin/Black NZ-Satin
???Sable???Tort???Gold-Tipped Steel???
I'll post pics of his litter with Coco in a bit.
KIMG0175.jpg

Barry - 8 month old - Zelda X Satin/Flemish
aaB_C_ddE_
KIMG0174.jpg

Now for litters.

Coco X Rosco

buck - tort? Sable? Gold tipped steel?
KIMG0178.jpg

buck - blue otter
KIMG0179.jpg

buck - black otter
KIMG0180.jpg

buck - Chestnut or blue agouti with Rex like coat
KIMG0185.jpg

doe - blue otter
KIMG0188.jpg

doe - ???lilac tort???
KIMG0189.jpg

doe - Chestnut
KIMG0190.jpg

Now for Posey and Munchkin's litters with Peter.

Poseys litter-
kimg0155-jpg.55137

KIMG0154.jpg

Bad pics, I know. Two are red colored with dark bellies and dark inside of their ears. The broken one has dark inside of ears and what appears to be a blue spot on it's nose. The other one is red with a white belly and white inside the ears.

Munchkin's litter
KIMG0148.jpg
KIMG0149.jpg
KIMG0153.jpg

terrible pics, I know... But one appears to be a broken red, and the other is pinkish grey (lilac?)

So, that's all of them! What do you guys think some of the blanks in the genotypes are? What crosses do you think would be most beneficial to filling in some of the blanks?

I know some of the pics are horrible, they are just all I had on my phone. I'll take more when I get home. If there are any specifically that you would like to see more pics of, let me know.

Thanks y'all! I look forward to hearing what y'all think, correcting any of my mistakes, and expanding my limited knowledge of rabbit genetics!

Attachments

• KIMG0161.jpg
    KIMG0161.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0175.jpg
    KIMG0175.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG0155.jpg
    KIMG0155.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom