Rabbit help & tips

Zealo

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
I've been planning on getting started on raising meat rabbits for a few months now, and have finally started to dig my nose into it. But I've never raised rabbits before and would love a little bit of advice.

I've read through different sites that a 24"x 24"x 30" would work well enough for a cage size. But unknown whether that would be acceptable for a New Zealand, which is what I plan on getting.

I also have a few breeds that I can choose from that some what close to where I live. One I'm really interested in looking into is a champagne x silver fox cross. The others are Rex, Silver fox, Mini rex, and Californian. I was thinking about getting a champagne x silver fox doe, a New Zealand buck and doe. I'm mostly interested in good meat production, but I also want some nice fur as well.

Congrats! I am just getting going with them too!

It really really depends what your minimum acceptable standards are. 2 x 2 is pretty small for the chunky 10 lbers like the ones you're looking at, but would be fine for say mini rexes.

I'm trying to get my cages built right now too! I'm aiming for 2x4 for each section, room for a bigger doe and some kits when they have them.

This still won't be big enough for the 15+ lbers I am looking at getting next year.

Also, yes yes yes to the silver fox/d'argent mix. I have been tempted a time or two as well by both of those. great coats.

If only I didn't already have/want AmChin, Flemish, CA, and rex.....

Back
Top Bottom