Rabbit Mama: Can I Let Her Go Out To Play?

prilli

Hatching
Jun 7, 2018
Hello,

My rabbit Bunnelby recently (June 6th) had a little of four kits. On Monday June 4th, her sister Judy Hops gave birth to a litter of eight; unfortunately I believe the temperatures outside were too hot for the kits and they all passed away.
Knowing that Bunnelby was going to kindle, on June 5th I decided to move her into the garage and I kept fans going to make the temperature more comfortable. I did not want her to have the kits outside in the rabbit run in order to prevent the kits from getting too hot. On the morning of the 6th, I checked on her and she gave birth to 2 viable babies and potentially 2 Peanuts. She seems to be caring for the kits well, and when I checked them this morning (7th) the 2 viable kits were very plump. As of this moment, I am not concerned about her caring for the kits; I think she's doing a great job.
My main concern is with her being cooped up. Up until the 5th, she had spent her entire life with her littermate sister, Judy Hops. I had separated them in the run by placing an "A' frame hutch inside so that each could deliver their kits without interference and in an attempt to avoid any problems. Judy is currently living in the run by herself. I am wondering if I can take Bunnelby out of the "maternity ward" garage during the day so that she can play with her sister. My intention is to leave the kits in the garage and then bring Bunnelby back to them in the evening and have her stay the night with them.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel as if Judy Hops and Bunnelby would greatly appreciate their time together. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Does only feed their litters a couple times a day and many rabbit keepers actually take the nest out and only give it to the doe for feedings and cleaning morning and night. Some call it 'shelving a litter' if you wanted to try to find some more information about this.

So, little Bunnelby's babies will be just fine if she goes out to play with her friend for the day.

However, Bunnelby's hormones will be in Mama mode so she may not enjoy spending time with Judy Hops like usual. She might be very territorial, body and hissy. I would have some big gloves or a board ready to separate them if they get into a fight and plan on observing them for a long time before trusting them together alone. Or maybe even rig up a wire divider in the playpen first and see how they do with each other.

Sorry about your other litter, I hope these ones do well.

I would leave her. She should be fine without her playmate for a while. Besides, with raising kits on her mind, she may be more hormonal and act aggressive to her former "friend." Alternatively, spending time with Judy Hops may make her less secure and cause her to be dangerous to her kits.

Back
Top Bottom