Rabbit meat safe after being found dead?

P-heasant

Chirping
Aug 18, 2022
Hi, I know this is meat birds but does anyone have any experience with rabbits? one of my champagne d’argent is dead. Not sure on the cause atm but just thinking is there a period when I immediately should start a process for meat it’s probably been a day. Will it still be ok to process?

I don't know anything about rabbits, but I would guess that if it's been dead for a day, it is NOT safe to eat. There is likely bad bacteria growth you cannot see. I think it's best to err on the side of caution. But maybe someone else who is more knowledgeable can chime in as well.

Maybe just process this guy for fur? :confused:

I don't know anything about rabbits, but I would guess that if it's been dead for a day, it is NOT safe to eat. There is likely bad bacteria growth you cannot see. I think it's best to err on the side of caution. But maybe someone else who is more knowledgeable can chime in as well.

Maybe just process this guy for fur? :confused:
Well the bacteria reason is what I was thinking. It will be my first time processing rabbit so yeah I think I may do it for pelt and practice.

Yeah I’ll get on to practicing, bought myself a new working knife this week so he will not be wasted.

Whilst I have you guys, when do you rest your birds/meat and for how long?

Yeah I’ll get on to practicing, bought myself a new working knife this week so he will not be wasted.

Whilst I have you guys, when do you rest your birds/meat and for how long?
I rest all my birds in the fridge for 24 hours after kill time. You can tell when rigor mortis is passed because the legs and wings will move freely when you try to manipulate them.

Back
Top Bottom