Rabbit waterer??

firstimeflocker

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
Northern Utah
I've got three girls who are almost ready to leave the brooder and move out into the great outdoors! I've got one of those waterers with an open tray at the bottom and they kick stuff into it CONSTANTLY. I've seen those nipple waterers at feed supply stores and I couldn't help but wonder... For a small flock like mine, would a rabbit waterer do the trick?? Has anyone used this before or know if it would work?

Do the chickens usually transition to these types of waterers without trouble or will they have to be shown how to use it? If so, how exactly would I go about that? This is my first batch of chickens so I'm a little bit clueless about all this!

I have rabbit drinkers on my smaller coops. One coop keeps a trio of 10 week old Japanese bantams, one contains my surplus roosters waiting to be sold or processed and the other an adult pair of Cochins, none of which were started on them. When I first brought them home(the birds), they were using the regular chicken drinkers (and making a mess of them). When I put the bottles in, they were immediately curious and scared. Once one pecked that shiny ball and discovered it gave water, it was on. I keep the rabbit drinkers on the coops and the chicken drinkers in the runs and they all seem to prefer the rabbit bottles, since I hardly ever have to fill up the outside waterers. I usually have to dump them and clean them before they go empty.

Good luck!

I've got three girls who are almost ready to leave the brooder and move out into the great outdoors! I've got one of those waterers with an open tray at the bottom and they kick stuff into it CONSTANTLY. I've seen those nipple waterers at feed supply stores and I couldn't help but wonder... For a small flock like mine, would a rabbit waterer do the trick?? Has anyone used this before or know if it would work?
These horizontal nipples are tried and true.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321403008020?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Back
Top Bottom