Raccoon attack last night..

Dig a hole UNDER the trap. Weight the trap down with a cinder block to keep the coon from moving the trap to get the bait.
I'm sure he'll eventually get the bait.. but it'll be his last meal if everything works as it should. Now if tomorrow I wake up and see the traps been robbed of food and door's still open then I'm just going to the local general store and buying a good one.

Hey everyone,
I've caught only POSSUM(S) so far; is there any chance the chicken killers are OPOSSUMS ????

Here's what I know so far, see if anything points to possible OPPOSSUM vs RACCOON

* I never did see other Coons (besides the 1 that I Killed in the Coop that was eating the eggs from the nesting box)

* I found 1 dead chicken carcass in/edge of the creek bed under some debris where it looked to have been stashed for later, it had been removed completely when i checked back later that day but the dead raccoon body i laid near the bird they'd stashed wasn't touched whatsoever.

* The 2nd dead bird had been left out in the open at the end of my lawn where my neighbors lawn begins. COCHIN BANTAM ROOSTER that was able to fly.. this is why i don't suspect OPPOSSUM.. but I guess it's possible.

Any feedback here, I've been expecting Raccoon but is it possible at all that there could have been a pair of coons and 1 possum that'd happened to be present and grabbed a bird while the door was open ???

Oh i'm pretty sure it's all my fault that they were even attacked .. I'm really good about closing the door usually, but that night I think i just forgot! i actually forgot they'd been let out earlier that day. the coop is almost guaranteed predator proof (just user error this time)

i'll use TUNA again tonight, since they're crazy for the smell of it and I know they'd love to have another free meal expecting to get out again without even considering it being a trap.

I'll move it further towards the back of the cage as well..

Will def. keep all of yall posted.

PS:

The Dead Raccoon carcass that I'd placed almost beside the Dead chicken was still untouched today.. but the chicken was completely gone (no trace of feathers or anything)
I've been at fault too. I have one coop with 4 pop doors so I can choose what pasture for them to use. Once I had forgotten that I had opened 2 doors that morning and didn't see the door on the far side of the coop when I locked up. Lost half the flock that night. I was devastated.

I don't think it was my fault when the coons broke into the cellar and killed 12 chicks. That surprised me.

I've started bar-b-queing the raccoons and feeding them back to the chickens.
Payback.

Dig a hole UNDER the trap. Weight the trap down with a cinder block to keep the coon from moving the trap to get the bait.
X2.
I've also had to put hardware cloth on the sides to keep them from reaching in.

Hey everyone,
I've caught only POSSUM(S) so far; is there any chance the chicken killers are OPOSSUMS ????

Here's what I know so far, see if anything points to possible OPPOSSUM vs RACCOON

* I never did see other Coons (besides the 1 that I Killed in the Coop that was eating the eggs from the nesting box)

* I found 1 dead chicken carcass in/edge of the creek bed under some debris where it looked to have been stashed for later, it had been removed completely when i checked back later that day but the dead raccoon body i laid near the bird they'd stashed wasn't touched whatsoever.

* The 2nd dead bird had been left out in the open at the end of my lawn where my neighbors lawn begins. COCHIN BANTAM ROOSTER that was able to fly.. this is why i don't suspect OPPOSSUM.. but I guess it's possible.

Any feedback here, I've been expecting Raccoon but is it possible at all that there could have been a pair of coons and 1 possum that'd happened to be present and grabbed a bird while the door was open ???
Opossums were originally my worst predator till the neighbors pack of huskies attacked. In the last couple years, raccoons have take over top spot.

Do raccoons or possum drag away and try to stash a kill?

Foxes in this area do that. Just ask me how I know that.
sad.png
The farthest I've had a possum or coon drag a meal was about 100 feet. I've never seen one stash, they just eat their fill and leave the rest.

Wow, I feel sorry for your 'pip' that got shredded, you sounds like "the punisher" seeking revenge, I believe there's no raccoon where I live, but my granpa once killed a mongoose because it tried to eat my bird, then me & my dad roast it and eat it, the only predator here is gigantic RATS!! With bald scars,greyish black fur, …but my chickens are braver now, I once saw one of my bantam hen pecked a rat and the rat ranaway

But would it be possible that 1 or 2 Raccoons were present at the same time as another PREDATOR (that's what I should ask)

It's unlikely, right ????
Perhaps unlikely but definitely not impossible.
I've seen raccoons, opossums and a coyote patrolling the yard at the same time.
There are you tube videos of confrontations between similar predators.

Wow, I feel sorry for your 'pip' that got shredded, you sounds like "the punisher" seeking revenge, I believe there's no raccoon where I live, but my granpa once killed a mongoose because it tried to eat my bird, then me & my dad roast it and eat it, the only predator here is gigantic RATS!! With bald scars,greyish black fur, …but my chickens are braver now, I once saw one of my bantam hen pecked a rat and the rat ranaway
Lucky you that morons haven't introduced raccoons there. Some dummy brought them to Europe and they're becoming a problem there too.

Mongoose and rats are a big problem. Someone introduced mongoose to the US Virgin Islands and they've become a big problem.

Back
Top Bottom