Raccoon attack won’t eat or drink

dirtylittlefly

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Vancouver, WA
9 days ago Chased off a family of raccoons. Momma chomped on my Brahma’s head, she has some superficial bites and I believe her eye burst. Poor Marshmallow. ;( She was in shock for a couple days and I was giving her about 20ml fluid daily via syringe. She started pecking at meal worms and dry feed slowly. I gave her egg a couple days then she suddenly stopped eating everything but mealworms. She is going through a very hard molt as well but I worry about giving her too much protein and nothing else. I’ve also yet to see her take a sip of water. I give her 5ml at a time (in 1/2ml increments) but I don’t have help with me to do it more often than 4 times a day. I’ve got her on amoxicillin 20mg/pound twice daily. I increased it when I noticed some abscesses forming around the scabs on her head. Eye seems to be healing without infection. And the abscesses seem to be going down. She shivers when handled and her appetite was already down prior to the attack, I believe because she was molting. Went from pooping 1/day, to about 4/day. Seems mostly normal. Brown or dark green with white.

Any ideas anything else to eat? I’ve tried wet feeed, fermented feed, grapes, yogurt, tomatoes. Dry feed, boiled and scrambled eggs. All she wants is worms.

Pics are from a couple days ago, I took pictures of the abscesses. They are healing quickly on all but the cheek/ear. I’ll drain tomorrow evening if the others

aren’t better by then.

Mashed banana mixed with egg yolk on a q tip, dipped in a bit of crumbles is my magic mix, and a little electrolytes. That's what I do for a chick, but for a hen I might offer a spoonful. The crumbles are there to encourage a bit of curious pecking. If she doesn't want to eat you may have to forcefeed her. How is she otherwise? Does she want to walk around, seem to be fighting for life? I'm so sorry to hear she got so hurt by the racoon 😞

Mashed banana mixed with egg yolk on a q tip, dipped in a bit of crumbles is my magic mix, and a little electrolytes. That's what I do for a chick, but for a hen I might offer a spoonful. The crumbles are there to encourage a bit of curious pecking. If she doesn't want to eat you may have to forcefeed her. How is she otherwise? Does she want to walk around, seem to be fighting for life? I'm so sorry to hear she got so hurt by the racoon 😞
Thanks! Will get to the store for some banana. She seems more alert every day. Pecks faster at the mealworms than she used to. I was feeling so hopeful when she ate the egg. First few days she would wear out easily, seemingly pass out before I could finish the 5ml of fluid. I know you can force water a chicken… but food?

I did take her for a walk in the park one day, wrapped in a towel. When I took her to see her friends though, she struggled and started crying. I had hoped it would cheer her up. But then again- that was the day she started eating. I have brought in a friend for her a couple of times to visit. She’s in a medium dog kennel in my garage. It worries me that she still shivers when being handled. It expends a lot of calories.

Any updates on how she’s doing? Our chicken also got attacked by a raccoon and still isn’t eating without force feeding after almost 3 weeks :(

Wondering how long to expect until improvement.

Back
Top Bottom