Raccoon attack

Masked Stamper

Hatching
Jun 19, 2022
I have two issues,
First a raccoon has killed 2 of my hens and has injured another.
I have isolated her. The raccoon attacked her back and she lost some feathers. No sign of blood.
The other chickens started to peck at her wound. Is there something I can put on her when I add her back with the other chicks?
And is there any type of ointment I can put on her wound?

Second issue is the raccoon. I have bought a trap. But it gets to the food and never trip the trap bar.
Third night in a row and no success. What's the best way to set the bait?

Thanks in advance.

A wire dog crate with food and water is a good way to keep her separated where her wounds won’t attract pecking. When I have a raccoon problem, I found that I had to secure the food inside a cat food container with wire or twine. Also leave the lid on the can partially. Raccoons are smart enough to reach inside for the food without going into the cage trap. I used tuna, but just a bit, and they like snickers and other things. We had to put the trap against a wall or in between 2 straw bales because they will turn the traps over to get the food out. Here is a good article about trapping:
https://www.havahart.com/raccoon-baits

I've used iodine on large hen wounds. The blue color keeps other hens from pecking and the iodine dries into a cast-like cover.
You can get a predator red light and attach to the outside of the coop. It blinks like eyes at night.

I've used iodine on large hen wounds. The blue color keeps other hens from pecking and the iodine dries into a cast-like cover.
You can get a predator red light and attach to the outside of the coop. It blinks like eyes at night.
I have devices called Nite Guard on all three sides of my pen for my ducks. I am the only one in the area that has not had an attack and I blame it on them working. They are solar powered and blink red only at night. So sorry for your attack.

I have two issues,
First a raccoon has killed 2 of my hens and has injured another.
I have isolated her. The raccoon attacked her back and she lost some feathers. No sign of blood.
The other chickens started to peck at her wound. Is there something I can put on her when I add her back with the other chicks?
And is there any type of ointment I can put on her wound?

Second issue is the raccoon. I have bought a trap. But it gets to the food and never trip the trap bar.
Third night in a row and no success. What's the best way to set the bait?

Thanks in advance.
Trap savvy raccoons will reach through the bars from outside to steal the food. You need to cover everything but the entrance to trap them successfully.

Back
Top Bottom