Raccoon Baiting

I've shot dozens of coons, woodchuck, opossums, ECT in a have a hart trap without any issues. Use the .22 cal with the proper ammo and it's easy.
Dump the critter out and use a garden hose to wash it out.

For those that say don't kill, relocate, it's the humane thing to do, what's your address?

.22LR shotshell (“rat shot”) is our preferred method — but only if in a leg or foot-hold trap. Do NOT shoot into a live trap.

For a live trap put it in a heavy garbage bag, then run a section of garden hose between it and the tailpipe of your car — outside only. Will be painlessly dispatched in under 5 minutes (give it 10 minutes just to be sure).
There’s is zero issue shooting a raccoon in a live trap with either a .22 short or long. Stick the barrel into the cage within a few inches of the animals head and shoot them between the eyes about an 1.5 high.

There’s is zero issue shooting a raccoon in a live trap with either a .22 short or long. Stick the barrel into the cage within a few inches of the animals head and shoot them between the eyes about an 1.5 high.

Exactly. .22 LR will be ok, as long as you don't use a hyper velocity round. Target load with a all lead bullet ( not jacketed HP) works exceptionally well.

Those raccoons are smart critters!! I've watched one go in for the bait and keep one foot in the doorway so the trap cannot completely close and lock! Use a bait like tuna or peanut butter and spread it so it cannot be taken with one swipe. Once a coon has figured out a trap, you'll be hard pressed to catch it in one! And always release it a couple/few miles away or it will find its way home again!!
:barnie PLEASE :he PLEASE:eek: PLEASE !!!!
DO NOT release these varmints. Either kill it, or have someone kill it for you. Years ago there was a test done where they marked and released raccoons at different distances. Some returned from as far as 50 miles. HOWEVER, even if yours doesn't return, it will then become a problem for another chicken person somewhere else. Do you really want to put your problems on someone else???

Didn't the original poster have animal control " dispatch" the raccoon? That seems simple enough.

Indeed is seems so, until you learn that many of the animal control people are “no kill minded” and just turn them loose when no one is watching :rolleyes:

There's a raccoon that's been wandering around the neighborhood killing chickens, and I'm trying to help my neighbors trap it.
They have trap that looks sort of like this:
View attachment 1722592
What bait should I use? Any tips? Thanks!
That is the trap I use to catch Racoons and Opossums. I buy cheap cat food or tuna as bait. (Please check your trap often so that you don't have an animal exposed to the elements for too long.) I release in a wooded area a few miles away.
Also keep your chickens locked in a safe place (coop) after dark.

That is the trap I use to catch Racoons and Opossums. I buy cheap cat food or tuna as bait. (Please check your trap often so that you don't have an animal exposed to the elements for too long.) I release in a wooded area a few miles away.
Also keep your chickens locked in a safe place (coop) after dark.
:mad: Release raccoons??? :he :he :he :barnie :he :he :he :hit :he :he :he

Back
Top Bottom