Raccoons here

arrowti

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Maine
I don't live at home anymore. My dad said he got home late (unexpectedly) last night. It was after dark. He saw a raccoon exit the chicken coop and disappear. All birds accounted for and uninjured.

Today I'm home for holidays and just decided to shine a flashlight out like I used to. Saw some eyes and saw two raccoons come out from under the coop and go into the trees. My dad went out with his rifle but they were gone by then.

I want them either gone for good or dead. What have you found are the best traps to use? I have outdoor cats so I'd prefer a live trap which we could dispose of later. Additionally, what would you consider the best kind of bait?

The frost has uplifted and damaged the fence which, unfortunately, happens every year...

(Side note: one of the hens disappeared three weeks ago. no signs of predation but I guess if she was alive she probably isn't anymore.)

Most states have laws against relocating wildlife, for good reasons. Raccoons and other critters can be moved to another spot on the same land, or to private land within the same county, with landowner permission. That's the law in Michigan. Look up your local regulations in your state!
A predator, once trapped, won't get into the same situation again. He will, however, travel miles to get home, knows how to get chickens, and will have a very bad time in other's territory. He will also spread whatever diseases he may carry INCLUDING RABIES and CANINE DISTEMPER.
Again, only trap if you will then shoot.
Mary

I wouldn't want to relocate and risk having them slaughter someone else's chickens. I don't enjoy the thought of killing animals but if they don't leave on their own that's the only option to protect my ducks and chickens. The coops are safe, can't say so much about the run given the condition of the fence and the frozen ground.

Thanks for the advice! Will try to get a live trap tomorrow if places are open!

Back
Top Bottom